Senior / Executive Director – Core Team Leader, Research PortfolioLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Product Portfolio Development (PPD) is responsible for BioMarin’s corporate and R&D governance, business operating model (core teams and sub-teams) and portfolio strategy. PPD integrates overall product strategy and ensures planning and timely execution to inform decision making and development of therapies and life cycle strategies at BioMarin.
Program & Position Impact:
The role of Core Team Leader for Research Portfolio will be a key integrator of cross functional input on the research assets. This is an opportunity to lead development of our early assets. This role will lead development and execution of product strategy and ensure key connections are made between research and all functions supporting research assets.
About the Team:
The Core Team Leader Group is part of BioMarin’s Corporate Product Portfolio Development function which reports to the Chief Scientific Strategy Officer. Product Portfolio Development is responsible for BioMarin’s corporate and product governance, business operating model (core teams and partner teams), portfolio strategy and business financial planning, strategic business insights and Competitive Intelligence.
Core Team Leader (CTL) Position:
CTL is the product champion and leads a team of functional leaders that together develop product strategy which is reviewed and approved by BioMarin governance. CTL is the primary liaison with executive management and has overall accountability to executive management for the integrated product strategy. In collaboration with core team (CT) members, the CTL ensures progress and execution against plans and as the leader of the CT is the primary contact for internal stakeholders. As a senior leader in the core team leader group, is a role model, mentors peers and contributes to key core team processes and initiatives.
- 12+ years experience in the biotechnology/ pharmaceutical industry. Rare disease experience is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience leading a core/cross functional strategy team for an investigational or marketed therapy or as commercial leader who has both development and launch experience.
- The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong matrix leadership ability and professional credibility to influence a highly intelligent and sophisticated audience of colleagues, partners, and external constituents.
This individual must be a self-starter and possess excellent leadership, influencing and communication skills, as they will be applied at all levels, including at the core team, interactions with the executive team, and presentations to internal and external audiences.
General CTL Responsibilities:
- Program Strategy
- Lead the CT in the generation of a Target Product Profile to maximize the potential of the molecule for patients and for the business
- Lead team to act with an entrepreneurial mindset and to transition the team from research to clinical development
- Ensure integrated stage based product plans that are aligned with program strategy and ensures assumptions and drivers are aligned with plans to inform financial planning
- Establish strong partnerships with all functional stakeholders, specifically Research, Clinical Development, Technical Operations, Regulatory and Commercial to ensure approval and launch success.
- Ensure potential risks/trade-offs are identified and contingency planning with a solutions’ focused mindset.
- Team Effectiveness
- Ensure cross functional partnerships and resources are leveraged effectively, and with accountability, to achieve program objectives.
- Drive collaboration and transparency across all functions on the CT and challenge team members to be broad and inclusive in their strategy planning.
- Resolve conflicts at the Core Team, provide and receive feedback to develop and maintain a high performing team
- Governance and Approvals
- Ensure that team recommendations are brought to appropriate governance for decision
- Ensure alignment of program strategy/plan/execution with management expectations & priorities
- Single point of contact on program for executive and functional management
- Ensures communication of rationale and context for decisions made to team
- Leads team in developing a comprehensive internal and external communication plan with team input for important program milestones, key data, etc.
- Reviews and agrees to publication plan, reviews publication concepts, presentations and manuscripts
- Primary source for information as needed for external communications (press releases, investor related, etc.)
- Reviews health authority related documents and ensures consistency with strategic objectives for the program
- The successful candidate will ideally have an advanced degree in a scientific discipline (e.g. Pharm D, Ph.D. or M.D.)
- MBA and B.S. is Life Sciences is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.