Sr. Electrical EngineerLocation Novato, California Workstyle Hybrid Apply
Who We Are
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients.
BioMarin is looking for a Sr. Electrical Engineer to join our California Facilities and Engineering (CFE) team in Novato, CA. In this role, you will be responsible for providing electrical engineering expertise to the site. This position is to assure proper design, change management, installation, and repair of electrical equipment according to regulatory and BioMarin standards. This position will be the focal point for all changes involving, but not limited to; Cogeneration plant, HV/MV/LV switchgear, motor control centers/starters, back-up generators,UPS’s and transformers. The Electrical Maintenance Engineer will work closely with engineering, maintenance, and operations to understand needs and requirements and to provide a design and installation package. The Electrical Maintenance Engineer is responsible for leading the management of change for the assigned area, assist with CAPEX/OPEX scope development, and initiating change requests for changes to electrical equipment, generators, switchgears, transformers, building UPSs, and the like.
Our CFE commitment is to meet or exceed BioMarin customers' and stakeholders' expected level of service by supplying leadership, technical knowledge and innovation to advance a safe, compliant, healthy, and environmentally responsible culture. In addition, the Sr. Electrical Maintenance Engineer – CFE takes responsibility for the lifecycle management of all electrical infrastructure assets (including our COGEN plant).
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These individuals build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients.
- Provides electrical technical support for maintenance, operation and troubleshooting of site electrical equipment, and systems.
- Provide preventative maintenance development input. Audit, and improve electrical equipment PM programs to ensure the health and effectiveness of the systems based on equipment failures, process changes and PM data.
- Participate and/or lead in the investigation and follow-up documentation of high impact or high potential impact incidents.
- Provide support as a facilitator for problem analysis, risk assessment, root cause analysis, etc. for critical equipment.
- Provide resource and leadership guidance for electrical systems as part of site investments and/or modifications.
- Work with operating and maintenance engineers to make recommendations to improve long term equipment operability, reliability, energy efficiency, and maintenance expense.
- Required to comply with Company Global Policies, Procedures and Guidelines, regulatory requirements and execute current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) in the performance of day-to-day activities.
- Ensures relevant metrics are in place to effectively monitor and report out on operational performance and identify/implement improvement opportunities quickly.
- Provide capital and expense project ideas based on reliability analysis and feedback from operations and other site personnel.
- Provide support in all phases of capital projects; (e.g. ensure project complies with site standards, practices, and goals) power study reviews, specification reviews, provide alternative selection/options with multiple solutions.
- Ensure projects are designed for maintainability and reliability.
- Provide early input on project maintainability and reliability considerations to ensure major scope is not missed during project development.
- Assist in set up of spare parts as required.
- Work collaboratively to drive safe, high quality, and cost-effective manufacturing facilities.
- Interface with diverse groups including, electrical technicians, process operators and engineers, rotating equipment specialist and engineers, process control engineers and maintenance/operation team leaders.
- Identify and implement CAPA’s stemming from area investigations.
- Assist with the site’s bad actor program. Drive the organization to find true root cause and effective mitigations to systematically eliminate bad actors.
- Own sites electrical infrastructure including COGEN plant, switchgear, back-up generators, building UPSs, etc.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Develop documentation for internal projects as well as reviewing/approving vendor supplied documentation (User Requirements, Functional Specifications, Software Design Specifications, and Software Test Plans)
- Create a line of communication with vendors to troubleshoot and problems solve issues within the environment.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Veeva and CMMS applications
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience Electrical Maintenance or Reliability experience required.
- Basic understanding of engineering, purchasing, accounting and construction practices and maintenance workflows. Strong organization, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Power Point, MS Access.
- 8years’or more experience Electrical Maintenance or Reliability experience desired.
- Experience with Cogeneration systems
- Experience with rotary flywheel UPS systems
- Experience performing Arc Flash studies
BS or MS Electrical Engineering from an accredited university. Relevant job and years of experience may be substituted in place of a degree.
Typical office hardware and software, which includes the basic suite of Microsoft business applications.
This position will interact collaboratively with key customers, peers, and other stakeholders to support achieving BioMarin tactical and strategic goals & objectives.
The Engineer will work closely with other support groups such as Engineering, Automation, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Facility Operations and Maintenance/Instrumentation, Project Engineering, EHS&S, and Asset Lifecycle Management (ALM) to ensure that BioMarin assets are well managed throughout their lifecycle.
- No direct reports currently.
- Lead other Engineers from the team as required. Engineers can be assigned to work with the Engineer to support relevant activities in their area.
- Lead external consultants to complete critical activities and deliver compliant work on time and to budget.
Standard 8 hour working day M-F. If needs arise weekend and off shift work may be needed to support company needs.
ONSITE, REMOTE, OR FLEXIBLE
Flexible workstyle with an expectation of a minimum of 2 days onsite with 3 days maximum remote work per week.
Travel may be required for equipment Factory Acceptance Testing, Trainings, Conferences. Anticipated < 10% of the year.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 108,000 to $ 162,000 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.