Scientist 1/Scientist 2 Analytical SciencesLocation Novato, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Sciences department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a Scientist 1 or Scientist 2 with core expertise in molecular and cellular biology along with biochemistry experience. The selected candidate will function as an independent contributor on a team focused on delivering release and characterization methods for adenovirus associated virus (AAV) vectors developed for gene therapy to address genetic disorders. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated critical thinker, with a proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and collaborative environment. The candidate will develop and utilize a wide variety of analytical methods for the release and characterization of gene therapy vectors in our pipeline including cell-based assays, molecular biology assays, and biochemical assays. An ideal candidate would be well-versed in methods to modify and analyze reporter cells used for bioassays, methods to analyze expression and activity of transduced genes, impurity assays for analysis of viral vector products, and experience with generation and characterization of cell models and cell banks used for bioassays. Prior experience with analytical development for CMC is a big plus.
- Execution of relevant experiments to support development of qualitative and quantitative assays for gene therapy process development as well as product characterization
- Primarily support development of biochemical and molecular methods to analyze viral vector DNA, RNA, protein, activity, and infectivity, vector genome titers, capsid composition, vector potency, transduction, etc.
- Conduct experiments to support vector characterization, safety studies, comparability studies, and stability studies in a timely fashion
- Routinely share experimental data with project teams and write protocols and reports
- Train colleagues and associates when needed
- Contribute to other bioassays as needed, such as infectious viral titers
- Expert in molecular and cellular biology with biochemistry experience
- Skillful in developing analytical methods to characterize cellular responses to drugs
- Experience with viral vector characterization
- Exceptional experimental design and interpretation skills
- Collaborative skills effective within a cross-functional environment
- Strong communication, collaboration and writing skills
- Strong organizational and documentation skills
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced environment
- Functional characterization of cellular processes (differentiation, transport, etc.)
- Modification of cells for bioassays
- Molecular biology
- Confocal microscopy
- Flow cytometry
- Automation of experimental processes and data analysis
- Prior experience with analytical method and reagent qualifications
Education and work experience in cell biology, virology, molecular biology, or biochemistry with direct training and laboratory experience with viral vectors required.
Scientist 1: PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 0-2+ years industry experience, MS with 5+ years industry experience; BS with 8+ years industry experience required,
Scientist 2 requirements: PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience, MS with 8+ years industry experience, BS with 12+ years industry experience required.
Operation of standard PCR, ddPCR, qPCR, plate readers, confocal microscope, HPLC, flow cytometry, automation, and other common laboratory equipment is desired
Will report to the Principal Scientist managing an AAV/Virology/Immunochemistry group within Analytical Sciences
Potential for supervisory role is dependent upon experience and performance.
*Role is onsite, flexibility determined by the demand of the work.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.