Sr. Medical Science Liaison - Skeletal Dysplasia/Achondroplasia, US Midwest or NELocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Skeletal Dysplasia (SD) Sr. Medical Science Liaison is a regional position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific discussions and interactions. The MSL will support clinical trials through company-sponsored research, the initiation and development of Investigator Research proposals (IRs) and support of BioMarin registries, safety studies and other clinical programs. These thought leader interactions will complement or supplement the overall SD product development plan. The MSL must possess in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline, and all associated disease state areas. The MSL must possess the capacity to coordinate and manage solo initiatives or partnerships with external partners independently or with a minimum amount of oversight. This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Teams.
The corresponding territory for this role is the MW or NE United States.
- Develop and execute Skeletal Dysplasia scientific plans within their region to meet company-defined goals within corporate and regulatory guidelines for products both marketed and product in development
- Visit potential research sites to determine the site’s ability to conduct and accrue within clinical research studies and registries (i.e. patient volume, research experience, methodologies, competing studies)
- Implementation and coordination of external research (Investigator Research) intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy
Identify and build mutually beneficial long-term relationships with key thought leaders,
- Investigators and key institutions to address current and future business needs
- Support the clinical department by forwarding potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development
- Maintain clinical, scientific, and technical expertise related to BioMarin’s products
- Participate in local, regional, and national meetings in support of all scientific and medical objectives
- Critically review and educate key personnel on relevant new publications and research findings to provide insights for GMAF
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of both clinical strategies and priorities
- Deliver high quality, scientific and fair-balanced discussions and presentations on BioMarin products to physicians and other key external customers
- Assist in the site level management of the publication plan timelines
- Function as the primary clinical resource to the Sales & Marketing team with participation in sales force training, medical updates, scientific presentations, journal clubs, teleconferences, and meetings as requested
- Proactively provides feedback on emerging clinical/competitive trends
- Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, PharmD, PhD, NP or equivalent degree)
- Sr. Medical Science Liasion: 5 or more years of relevant experience in clinical and 3 or more years as an MSL preferred
- Ability to quickly and easily learn new scientific and technical information as well as ability to interpret key information and translate into educational and research needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Project management understanding and experience
- Position will require 60-75% travel for field and home office obligations. Travel variable dependent on COVID restrictions.
- Experience in growth disorders and/or pediatric endocrinology is highly preferred
- Prior experience as an MSL in the introduction of a novel new clinical product is highly desired
- Experience in product launch development and execution
- Experience in product strategy and execution
- Knowledge of regulations impacting Medical Affairs and field activities in the pharmaceutical industry
- MD, PharmD, PhD preferred or equivalent degree
- (will consider Master degree with extensive experience)
- This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Team
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.