Specialist, Patient Advocacy, Development SciencesLocation United States Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Development Sciences (DevSci) Patient Advocacy Specialist is responsible for coordination and support focused responsibilities related to the successful execution of DevSci Patient Advocacy’s goals and deliverables globally.
Additionally, the DevSci Patient Advocacy Specialist will be responsible for project management activities related to successful execution of the DevSci Patient Advocacy Therapeutic Strategic Plans. Areas of focus include meeting facilitation, generation of minutes, follow-up on action items, risk and issues management, and creation of program-specific strategic advocacy plan timelines.
- Work with Global Leads to coordinate certain activities (e.g., data collection, metrics development, etc.) in collaboration with other functions as appropriate (e.g., Global Clinical Development, Global Brand Management, Regulatory Patient Engagement)
- Facilitate cross-functional team meetings between DSPA and other partnering functions, in collaboration with the DevSci Patient Advocacy Global and/or Regional Leads - develop meeting agendas, issue meeting minutes, and track action items to completion.
- Coordinate conducting Lessons Learned initiatives for the DevSci PA team as appropriate, and in accordance with DevSci’s Lessons Learned Process
- Reduce redundancies and improve collaboration between cross-functional patient advocacy functions within BioMarin
Operational Planning & Execution
- In collaboration with DevSci Patient Advocacy Global and Regional Leads, build, maintain and control the timeline for the execution of Therapeutic Area Strategic Plans - highlight dependencies, milestones, deliverables, and critical path; create timeline scenarios as needed and facilitate internal reviews
- Ensure DevSci PA teams are tracking to key deliverable and milestone timelines
- Facilitate team meetings in collaboration with the DevSci Patient Advocacy Global and/or Regional Leads - develop meeting agendas, issue meeting minutes, and track action items to completion. Meetings to include but not be limited to:
- Weekly all-DSPA team meetings
- Weekly/biweekly program-specific subteam meetings
- Contribute to and facilitate the development and reporting of DevSci Patient Advocacy metrics to relevant internal teams and GCD Leadership
- Support the selection and management of third parties / vendors involved in patient communications, patient recruitment, and other specialty services. Ensure clinical trial timelines are considered to ensure patient engagement happens early enough for the patient voice to be included in clinical study protocols prior to trial initiation.
- Develop operational standards for DevSci PA teams, Global Leads, and functional meetings.
- Ensure all members of DevSci PA are informed and able to retrieve information about the statuses of their colleagues’ projects.
- Support DevSci PA in budgeting, vendor management, and planning of patient engagement events.
Education & Experience
- BA/BS in a scientific or technical field. Experience in lieu of education accepted.
- Minimum of 4-8 years total relevant experience (including industry, project management, or academia), with at least 2-4 years in a project management role. CAPM or comparable certification a plus.