Sales Director - Achondroplasia, Central US
Location United States, RemoteApply
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific.
At BioMarin, we aspire to lift the voice of the rare disease patient community the same way they inspire us to keep researching and moving toward the exceptional therapies with science. We celebrate the people we serve. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Sales Director, Achondroplasia (Central US)
Location: Field Based
The Sales Director will manage the assigned territory based on their regional location.
The Director, Account Management (Sales) for Achondroplasia will be responsible leading a team of Achondroplasia Account Managers launching first in class product. The position reports to the Senior Sales Director of MPS and Achondroplasia. This position will be responsible for achieving revenue targets , while managing operating expenses.
This role is focused on immediate post-launch activities will prepare for BioMarin’s first in class therapy for Achondroplasia.
This position requires a mix of strategic agility, business acumen, leadership, management of projects and an ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have pediatric endocrinology experience and/or comparable experience. Rare disease experience is preferred combined with unique launch experience with a new/novel therapies.
- People leadership and management expertise, analytical skills, and problem solving skills are required. Results orientated with a sense of urgency to get things done are necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and gain the cooperation from others, excellent communication and presentation skills are required. A high degree of collaboration with other functional areas (marketing, medical, market access, commercial operations) is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work and partner with existing sales leaders and teams as they can drive referrals for new patient starts.
- Must be a good match for the BioMarin culture, which is performance oriented while maintaining behavioral norms that support collaboration and innovation.
- Direct experience building and establishing sales organizations in specialty markets is strongly desired.
- A disciplined business-risk taker who is comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, sensitive to the constraints of a small commercial organization, and committed to adhering to Compliance guidelines while upholding and modeling ethical and compliant behavior
- Must be goal oriented, know how to set aggressive but achievable targets, and be able to adjust when targets are not being met.
- Must be able to operate effectively in this highly regulated environment, including an ability to understand, follow and manage to legal and regulatory compliance guidelines. Instills and demonstrates a high standard of performance and ethics within the organization and role models this behavior.
- Must display empathy, compassion, and unique understanding of the Achondroplasia patient advocate community
- Lead, retain and hire top performers with experience in the pediatric endocrinology space or comparable space to ensure successful launch.
- Develop regional and territory business plans based on revenue goals, marketing plans, and available resources.
- Spend majority of time in the field interacting with customers, while coaching and developing direct reports
- Periodically attend brand team meetings in order to provide ‘the voice of the customer’ and articulate other insights gained in the field. There will be an opportunity to influence both tactics and strategies by understanding the customer needs.
- Effectively monitor and manage cost center budgets and provide spending direction.
- Understand, follow and manage to all company policies, legal and regulatory compliance guidelines.
- The position may require working weekends to attend scientific/conferences and patient educational events
- Provide reviews, evaluate performance, assign merit increases, and implement performance improvement as well as development plans as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and implementation of incentive compensation plans for the sales organization that align with organizational goals.
- Be an expert in the clinical data and be able to provide strategic direction for its use with Account Managers.
- Ability to travel 60% of time based on business needs and to be in the field with Account Managers, observing and coaching
- Minimum 10+ years of progressive pharmaceutical/biotech experience
- 6+ years biotech/specialty sales involving high value products
- 8+ years field sales management experience in large geography with focus on specialty office sales (injectables)
- Experience hiring, building, and managing new teams in a new product launch
- Demonstrated ability to think and communicate strategically
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and contingency planning skills
- Strong history of exceptional team sales performance
- Strong history of sales team(s) performance management
- Confident and influential presenter, adept at engaging senior leadership
- Willingness to travel extensively, greater than 60%
- Promoting/managing promotion to office based and institutional KOL centers
- Proficiency with PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Pediatric endocrinology experience and/or comparable experience.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders (marketing, medical, operations, patient services, etc.)
- Experience in cross functional roles (marketing, field reimbursement, operations)
- Patient events/advocacy work experience
- Start-up experience or experience with the introduction of a disruptive medication that creates need for new medical home
- Bachelor's degree required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.