Intern – Information Management Research InformaticsLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The research informatics summer intern will work as part of a team focused on the managing tools and data to support our computational and laboratory scientists. The team aims to create tools and systems supporting researchers in the management diverse sets of scientific using modern technologies. Key activities will focus on data management, documentation, automation of workflows, and communication of processes to scientists. Specific subprojects can be tailored to meet the applicant’s specific skills and interests.
- Experience working with in a modern a programming or scripting language
- Experience analyzing with tabular data (e.g. excel, SQL, Pandas)
- Comfort working and communicating in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, collaborative research environment
- Working knowledge or enthusiasm to learn about biology/genetics and computing in the life science
- Experience working with SQL, or other database technologies
- Experience working with Linux, the command line, and/or the use of cloud and distributed computing technologies
- Experience or interest working with big data or distributed computing
- Experience in web design/development, data presentation, or dashboarding
- Students pursuing Bachelor's or Master's Degree in a scientific, mathematical, engineering or technical discipline.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.