Intern - Clinical Data ScientistLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
As part of the Data Management group, an integral delivery unit within the Worldwide Research & Development (WWRD) organization, the Intern-Clinical Data Scientist will contribute to timely and high-quality data management deliverables supporting the BioMarin portfolio.
This summer intern in Clinical Data Management Science is a unique and excellent opportunity for undergraduate or graduate students to gain insights into an emerging popular area of clinical development, real world data/evidence (RWD/E), data science and related statistical aspects in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. This opportunity will also provide a full picture of the critical role and responsibility data management professionals play in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
This summer intern will research on and subsequently apply the findings on topics such as building reporting capabilities, dashboards and natural language processing (NLP). The Intern-Clinical Data Scientist will be involved in design, develop, and maintain data management deliverables used to capture, validate, monitor, and ensure the integrity of clinical data. More specifically, he/she will apply standards in data collection and validation and will produce metrics and reports to facilitate effective and efficient data processing.
- Contribute to the improvement and automation of data processing pipelines across different clinical studies.
- Build and improve dashboards and reports for external communications.
- Use quantitative analysis, signal processing, data mining and machine learning to analyze clinical data from different sources.
- Serve as a technical resource to the study teams for CDM standards, tools, data provisioning, and reporting
- Contribute to operational excellence in collaboration with partners for application of standards, data acquisition, proactive data review and data integrity monitoring, data cleaning, e-data processing, data access and visualization, and database release.
- Are passionate about open science, and collaboration. Enjoy learning new techniques. Interest in learning about clinical research, FDA & ICH, GCP, GCDMP, and related regulatory requirements
- Have some experience in developing both statistical and machine learning models.
- Are a strong communicator (oral and written.)
- Proficient programming skills in SAS or R or Python for data analysis and simulations
- Consistent, detail oriented, communicative, dedicated to do a job well done
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite of tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in NLP and predictive modeling/extrapolation
- Good knowledge in data visualization tools/machine learning techniques
- Student in their senior year of Undergrad working towards a bachelor’s degree quantitative discipline (e.g., data science, statistics, computational biology, biomedical engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or similar), or another scientific degree.
- Student in pursuit of a master’s degree or PhD in a quantitative discipline another scientific degree preferred.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.