Intern - Business Development, Data ScienceLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
Business and Corporate Development plays a critical role in the strategic growth of BioMarin by leading corporate strategy initiatives and executing to various types of transactions (e.g. licensing, M&A, partnership efforts) to shape our pipeline.
BioMarin is seeking a self-starter and results-oriented individual who is looking to gain hands-on, real-world experience as part of the Business Development (BD) team. We are looking for someone with both a strong fit with BioMarin’s mission and culture along with the necessary research and analytical skills.
The intern will work closely with BD team members supporting, analyzing and executing transaction and related activities designed to meet BioMarin’s strategic objectives. Specifically, during the summer, the selected intern will focus on designing and developing a proprietary, search tool/workflow to systematically identify researchers and assets of interest, leveraging both public and proprietary data sources.
BioMarin’s summer internship program will take place over a 10 to 12-week period from June through August 2021.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Liaising and working closely with BD team members and other functional areas;
- Sourcing, cleaning, and analyzing databases of interest;
- Developing, and testing the search tool/workflow;
- Developing user guide for the tool/workflow
- Preparing materials for cross functional team presentations
- Strong programming skills (Python) particularly in advanced data frame manipulations (Pandas, NumPy)
- Knowledge of SQL queries to extract, join and filter large data sets
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with all levels of management
- Willingness to be a team player, with strong leadership skills and ownership mindset
- BA/BS required from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 minimum GPA or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program and returning to school in Fall 2021 OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Graduate degree program must be in Data mining, Machine learning, Statistics, Math, Physics, Bioinformatics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or other quantitative discipline
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship
- Able to work remotely within United States borders
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop skills specific to your major
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.