BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The Sr. Manager position is an early leadership role within GMAF Learning and Development focusing on the development of learning strategies to support pipeline and promoted products. The Sr. Manager is responsible for training solutions of increasing complexity and leading needs analysis and gap assessments. S/he may lead departmental process improvement initiatives.
The individual in this position exhibits advanced communication, leadership, training development, and project management competencies. S/he has built foundational level strategic thinking, drug development, and learning program measurement skills.
Needs Assessment, Curriculum Design, and Delivery
- Participate in the design, development, and delivery of training solutions on products and disease areas to support learners within GMAF, including both global and regional training
- Perform needs analysis, assessing base competencies and proficiency of organizations/functions in order to identify needs and address curriculum gaps, including:
- Working with individual functions to determine needs and conduct assessments
- Collaborate with global and regional colleagues to build an understanding of learning needs in the context of long term and near term strategic goals
- Contribute to the design of effective course curriculum and workshops to meet organization needs, including:
- Identify or source expert facilitators to deliver effective live training as required
- Support trainers/facilitators in gathering or developing training content
- Obtain and or develop effective learning and development materials using a variety of media and blended approaches including coaching, classroom instruction, on-line learning, experiential learning, and self-guided learning
- Ensure external facing GMAF personnel are competent in the areas of product and disease knowledge, compliance, and presentation skills
- Deliver trainings effectively, managing and responding to learner needs
- Perform evaluation activities to assess learning progress and ensure performance gaps are closed
- Use project management, change management, and learner engagement best practices to plan and conduct effective live training events
- Collaborate with Matrix Team and cross-functional colleagues to ensure that training needs are met in ways that are accurate, timely, and aligned
- Develop learning plans for all assigned compounds across the entire projected lifecycle of the compound
- Participate in setting annual learning priorities, communicating them and managing the process for addressing ad hoc learning and development requests
- Develop and maintain communications to ensure employees have knowledge of training requirements, events and resources
- Support the design and development of the GMAF annual meeting, including participant engagement, materials development, training session management, and logistics
- Keep abreast of trends and best practices in learning development and technology
A Senior Manager demonstrates advanced core competence in leadership and communication. Skills include:
- Exhibiting a clear perspective on ethics and BioMarin core values and applying these core values during challenging situations
- Intervening and resolving conflicts using appropriate tools (e.g., listening openly, taking a break, suggesting re-group at later time) to diffuse tension and motivate others to concentrate on the issue(s) at hand and find common ground
- Adapting communication style, message and delivery method and medium to audience; knows when to ask for guidance on complex or difficult messages
The individual in this position is also expected to demonstrate advanced technical skills in training development and project management. This includes:
- Assessing the level of knowledge of the target audience and the gaps
- Familiarity with best practices in developing an effective training program, and ability to deploy different formats and types of training, including remote vs. face-to-face approaches
Ability to manage project management trade-offs among scope, timelines, budget/resources and quality
- BA/BS in life sciences, health sciences, or other technical area.
- 6 or more years of relevant experience in healthcare training and development, medical affairs, and/or drug development
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.