Senior Research Associate I / II - Analytical / ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated individual at the Senior Research Associate level. As part of the Delivery Solutions Team, the successful candidate will drive scientific innovation using basic protein biochemistry and biophysical techniques to enable quality research. Through internal and external partnerships, The Delivery Solutions Team optimizes current drug-delivery technologies and evaluates new platforms (nanoparticles, prodrugs, protein conjugates) to more efficiently deliver therapies to target tissues and systems. This bench-focused position will develop methods to quantify a variety of modalities (small molecules, oligonucleotides and proteins) from in vitro and in vivo studies, as well as develop methods to measure metabolites and pharmacodynamic effects in animal models. The successful candidate will have broad experience with biochemical methods and instrumentation including chemical conjugations, liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, size exclusion chromatography, multi angle light scattering, and ligand binding assays. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on exploratory research through late stage programs. The successful candidate will interact with all facets of Research and Early Development to advance our most promising research programs for rare diseases. You will be in a position to apply various technologies that accelerate research, while maintaining a high-quality standard for quantitative assays.
This Senior Research Associate position will report to an Associate Director and will have the opportunity to influence the evolution of the Delivery Solutions Team in a growing biotech company.
- Develop a variety of analytical methods to detect drug, metabolites and biomarkers in biological matrices. Techniques may include (but are not limited to) mass spec, HPLC/UPLC, SEC-MALS, proteomics, metabolomics, ligand binding assays.
- Use shared instrumentation available in the LCMS Core Laboratory to independently conduct experiments
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to the Research Department.
- May function as the primary interface to other teams regarding a designated project and present results to project teams.
- Develop new techniques or brings in new technology from the outside, to enhance the analytical capabilities of the group.
- Prepare SOPs and other documents such as data reports for testing results.
- Share responsibility for lab management duties.
- Participate and present data as a member of Delivery Solutions Team and share responsibility for project milestones.
- Independently carry out the aforementioned tasks and plan, implement, and complete projects with little supervision.
- Participate in scientific meetings
Preferred: Bachelor's or Master's degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry or related fields. Established field of expertise in protein chemistry, proteomics, metabolomics, metabolic disease or similar.
Senior Research Associate 1:
Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience
Senior Research Associate 2:
Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience; Master’s degree with at least 6 years of relevant experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.