Senior Research Associate 1 or 2, Capsid Engineering and Rational Designs, Gene Therapy Research
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Senior Research Associate -1 or -2, Capsid Engineering - Rational Designs
- This is a wet lab-based position. The person will work with the team to construct and characterize different AAV capsid variants in lab. The capsid variants are either designed to map out the critical functional sites or for developing novel vectors with desired phenotypes.
- Hands on experience with AAV gene therapy, capsid rational designs or capsid functional sites mapping is a great plus
- Have background knowledge on AAV biology or structural biology is a great plus
- Strong organization skills and ability to multi-task efficiently in a dynamic environment
Demonstrated success working as a team player with good verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attentive to details and be able to deliver reliable results consistently
- Good record tracking and maintain detailed electronic lab notebook
- Strong work ethic and a collaborative team player
- Hands-on lab experience in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry techniques:
- Molecular biology: Gibson assembly, Cloning techniques, Primer design, PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, Nucleic acid purification, Illumina library preparation, NGS data analysis.
- Cell Biology : cell line work and primary cell work, transfection and transduction
- Protein Biology/ Biochemistry: ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western, dot-blot, affinity column
MS/BS with a specialization in molecular biology, virology, cell biology, biochemistry or related disciplines
SRA-1:Master’s degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience
SRA-2: Master’s degree with at least 6 years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of experience
Common molecular/protein biology BSL1 lab equipment & tissue culture BSL2 equipment.
Must be able to work in a team format and able to present data at internal & external meetings.
No directs reports associated with this positionWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More