Senior Director / Director, Business Development and Corporate StrategyLocation San Rafael, California
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This role will report to Brinda Balakrishnan, Group Vice President of Business Development and Corporate Strategy.
The new hire will serve as a key member of the team, working closely with cross functional partners and the executive management team to advance pre-clinical/clinical/commercial opportunities and initiatives that support the corporate vision and goals.
These initiatives include developing a search strategy for non-gene and gene therapy assets, buy-side activities, sell-side activities, and corporate strategy projects.
The new hire will play a leading role in developing strategic plans to enter and expand new business opportunities with a specific focus on rare diseases, drive the business development process externally with bio-pharmaceutical companies targeting licensing/acquisition of key therapeutic assets, R&D collaborations, and related collaborations, with responsibility for prospecting, early search and evaluation, conducting diligence, and managing transactions for assets and opportunities that advance BioMarin’s rare disease product pipeline.
- Maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
- Be the disease specific SME by understanding the disease biology, influential KOLs, treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics
- Conduct/manage primary and secondary market research as part of evaluating new product development opportunities. Generate revenue forecasts, P&L models, and NPV analyses for deals
- Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas
- Identify, develop, and nurture scientific and business relationships within bio-pharmaceutical companies as well as internal stakeholders
- Work with internal research, development, commercial and financial experts on evaluation, due diligence and initial product development plan for proposed transactions. This includes supporting the overall product evaluation process, including clinical/scientific assessments, evaluation of the commercial opportunity, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modeling
- Manage internal due diligence process. Lead and manage cross-functional interactions with Clinical, Non-Clinical, Commercial, Regulatory, Finance, IP, and Manufacturing, to conduct detailed evaluation process and prioritize and execute on transactions.
- In conjunction with evaluation team, prioritize and license best-in-class assets as basis for new rare disease therapies
- Participate in structuring and negotiation of TERM SHEETS
- Develop agreements for licensing and acquisition transactions
- Ensure individual and departmental goals are achieved by providing leadership, team support and driving other key initiatives
- Deal Sheet REQUIRED
- Must have MD in Rare Diseases with “VC mindset”, experience in small Biotech companies preferred
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, life-cycle management and commercialization of therapeutics (rare disease preferred)
- Strong EQ combined with scientific/technical acumen of clinical development process
- Scientifically Strategic and willingness to "own" the process
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills are required to manage the internal stakeholders (e.g. Research, Drug Development, Commercial, Market Access, etc.) as well as, external alliances
- Ability to conduct Landscape Analysis, Alliance Management, Milestone Tracking, Royalties and Diligence Reporting
- Track record of owning, driving, and closing projects from inception to execution, to include valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that requires "win-win" collaboration at all levels
- Equity Research and or Top-Tier Venture Capital experience is a +
- MD required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.