Scientist, Molecular BiologyLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research (BR) group at BioMarin is seeking a highly motivated scientist to conduct preclinical translational research evaluating potential therapeutics for severe rare genetic diseases with unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will partner closely with a team of scientists from BR, other functional groups within BioMarin Research, and bioanalytical sciences to advance our most promising molecules for further development.
He/she is a highly motivated molecular biology scientist who conceives strategies, leads the development, evaluation and implementation of state-of-the-art quantitative molecular methods in support of preclinical proof-of-concept and mechanisms of actions in vivo and in vitro studies of novel therapeutics. These methods may be used to quantitate biotherapeutic levels, to detect and characterize immune responses evoked by the therapeutic, to measure biomarkers, or for biological mechanistic characterization of drug candidates in complex biological matrices. This individual is expected to be a mentor for a recognized area of technical expertise within the department. This individual may also be asked to lead technical teams or initiatives.
- Provide scientific and intellectual input to guide project-related molecular biology analytical support and investigative efforts within the context of interdisciplinary project teams.
- Plan and execute laboratory research.
- Initiate, direct and execute the development, optimization, qualification of robust molecular assays (i.e. NGS, qPCR, ddPCR and/or other molecular assay platforms) to analyze DNA, RNA, or drug molecules in complex biological matrices
- Use various gene-editing tools to generate proof-of-concept data in vitro
- Manage external CROs for gene synthesis, cloning, plasmid/viral vector production, and bioanalytical assays for animal studies
- Analyze data with applicable bioinformatics tools/scientifically sound interpretation and present data at group/departmental meetings.
- Able to troubleshoot experiments based on thorough understanding of assay principles
- Author technical reports and SOPs associated with the molecular assays developed and qualified.
- Provide support to collaborating functional groups, as needed
- Work with junior research associates on experimental design, troubleshooting, assay optimization and data interpretation, if applicable.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Participate in exploratory studies driving the evaluation of state-of-the-art new technology platforms, and innovative upgrades for existing assay platforms.
- Represent BR on project teams.
- Identify, develop and maintain relationships with contract research organizations to maximize group productivity and assure inclusion of latest scientific thinking and guidelines in the research plan.
- Recruit and manage RAs
- Contribute to the peer review process, both internally and externally, to help assure BioMarin translational research is conducted at the highest level of quality, integrating business and development objectives.
- Makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences.
- A Ph.D. in Molecular Biology or Cell Biology or a related field and at least 2 years of postdoctoral or industrial experience are required.
- Extensive experience in designing and hands-on cloning of gene expression plasmids with advance molecular biology skills (Gibson assembly, library construction, etc.)
- Proven track record of designing and utilizing various gene editing tools for research projects
- 2+ years of experience in bioanalytical characterization of nucleic acid (DNA, RNA, oligos, etc) with viral and/or non-viral delivery methods
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with various molecular biology analytical methods For example, NextGen Sequencing, Sanger sequencing, RNAseq (bulk and single-cell), ATAT-seq, library construction, amplification, ATAC-seq, methylation analysis, genomic DNA isolation, polymerase chain reaction (qPCR or ddPCR), and other standard molecular biology techniques.
- Proficiency in mammalian cell culture, iPSC cells and primary cells is a plus
- Farmilar with various molecular biology and sequence analysis softwares. For example, Geneious, Applied Biosystems 7500, QuantaSoft
- Experience with analytical and/or statistical software (e.g., JMP, Softmax Pro, XLfit, Gen5 etc.), is highly beneficial
- Experience with bioinformatics programming (e.g., Python, R, etc.) is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment with aggressive timelines
- Passion for continued learning and helping others learn.
- Collaborative, team-oriented, consistently looks for win-win solutions to problems. Ability to interact successfully with team members from a wide variety of functional areas and all levels of contribution and expertise.
- Publication record supporting a consistent contribution to the success of research projects.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.