Scientist I, Cell Biology, Biology Research TeamLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research (BR) group at BioMarin is seeking a highly motivated scientist to conduct preclinical translational research evaluating potential therapeutics for severe rare genetic diseases with unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will partner closely with a team of scientists from BR, other functional groups within BioMarin Research, and bioanalytical sciences to advance our most promising molecules for further development.
He/she is a highly motivated cell biologist who conceives strategies, leads the development, evaluation and implementation of state-of-the-art cell-based disease models to identify novel therapeutic interventions, in support of preclinical proof-of-concept and mechanisms of actions investigations of novel therapeutics for non-malignant blood disorders. This individual is expected to be a mentor for a recognized area of technical expertise within the department.
- Provide scientific and intellectual input to guide project-related cell biology proof-of-concept and investigative efforts within the context of interdisciplinary project teams.
- Plan and execute laboratory research.
- Initiate, direct and execute the development, optimization, qualification of robust cell-based assays
- Design and conduct cell-based assays (mammalian cell lines, primary cell culture, iPSCs, etc.) for function assessment of therapeutic/genetic interventions
- Manage external CROs
- Analyze data with applicable bioinformatics tools/scientifically sound interpretation and present data at group/departmental meetings.
- Able to troubleshoot experiments based on thorough understanding of assay principles
- Author technical reports and SOPs associated with the molecular assays developed and qualified.
- Provide support to collaborating functional groups, as needed
- Work with junior research associates on experimental design, troubleshooting, assay optimization and data interpretation, if applicable.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Participate in exploratory studies driving the evaluation of state-of-the-art new technology platforms, and innovative upgrades for existing assay platforms.
- Identify, develop and maintain relationships with contract research organizations to maximize group productivity and assure inclusion of latest scientific thinking and guidelines in the research plan.
- Recruit and manage RAs
- Contribute to the peer review process, both internally and externally, to help assure BioMarin translational research is conducted at the highest level of quality, integrating business and development objectives.
- Makes major contributions to scientific literature and conferences.
- A Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Genetics, Immunology or a related field and at least 2 years of postdoctoral or industrial experience are required.
- Demonstrated experience in tissue culture with iPCS, primary cells (e.g. hepatocytes) and human hematopoietic cells
- Proficiency with flow cytometry including designing and optimizing multi-parameter flow cytometry panels
- Experience with confocal microscopy and live-cell imaging. Proficiency in developing and optimizing high-content imaging bioassays independently with limited guidance a plus
- Proficiency in various molecular biology analytical methods (qPCR or ddPCR), and other standard molecular biology techniques.
- Background in viral and non-viral gene therapy, cellular or molecular biology is a plus
- Experience with analytical and/or statistical software (e.g., JMP, Softmax Pro, XLfit, Gen5 etc.), is highly beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment with aggressive timelines
- Passion for continued learning and helping others learn.
- Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and data in electronic laboratory notebook in accordance with company policy.
- Collaborative, team-oriented, consistently looks for win-win solutions to problems. Ability to interact successfully with team members from a wide variety of functional areas and all levels of contribution and expertise.
- Publication record supporting a consistent contribution to the success of research projects.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills