Scientist 1 or 2, Vector Plasmids for Gene Therapy Research
Location :San Rafael, California
Workstyle :Onsite Only
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with extensive molecular biology experience to join our Vector Engineering team. A qualified candidate will be an expert molecular biologist with skills to design, build and analyze vectors/plasmids/transgenes of high complexity. Excellent communication, strong team-working and accurate record-keeping skills with a keen attention to detail will be required. Experience performing in vitro expression analysis of the plasmids and vectors generated in mammalian cell culture systems is required. As part of our team, the candidate will be working in a fast-pacedresearch environment on multiple high-priority projects.
- Design & build therapeutic vector plasmids of high complexity for multiple therapeutic research projects
- Perform standard molecular biology techniques including restriction digests, PCR, isothermal/Gibson assembly, DNA & RNA extractions, ddPCR and/or qPCR analysis, Sanger and/or NGS sequencing experience.
- Perform expression analysis in mammalian cell lines or primary cells using reporter assays or immunoblotting techniques
- Maintain detailed electronic laboratory notebooks to record day-to-day activities, including experiments and plasmid sequence databases & inventories.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with team members and internal and external stakeholders in meetings and through written communications.
- Present experiments and results in both small and large group meetings
- Strong molecular biology skills with expert-level hands-on experience designing and building expression plasmids of high complexity using multiple techniques.
- Isolation of nucleic acids from prokaryotic and mammalian cells for use in molecular biology assays including PCR, ddPCR/qPCR
- Mammalian cell culture experience including transfection, vector-production and vector-transduction
- Develop novel cell-based assays as needed for research projects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate in cross-functional teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as scientific communication and written skills for record-keeping and presentations
- Open to learning new skills and techniques as needed in assigned tasks
- Experience working in Gene Therapy, especially AAV, is a strong plus
- PhD with 0-2 years orBS/MS with6+years of hands-on experience doing laboratory work in molecular biologyor relevant biological sciences.
PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More