Scientist 1 or 2, AAV Purification - Gene Therapy Research
Location:San Rafael, California
With accelerated review underway in the United States and Europe for our Hemophilia A drug, a second gene therapy program entering the clinic for PKU patients, and a third program in late research for Hereditary Angioedema, BioMarin continues to pioneer innovative approaches to treating rare diseases. Our commitment to gene therapy is further underscored by having developed the first and largest gene therapy manufacturing facility in the world. The scientific possibilities and the hope we offer to patients with rare diseases is enormous.
BioMarin is a midsize biotechnology company with a market cap of approximately 18 billion. Over the course of our 22 year history we have successfully launched 7 drugs for the treatment of rare diseases. Our success is due to our scientific rigor and our ability to leverage multiple therapeutic modalities. BioMarin is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and offers a comprehensive relocation program.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Decision Making
- Intellectual Curiosity
- Patient Focused
- Results Oriented
- Pioneering Science
- Cross Functional Collaboration
- Willing to try new ways to look at problems
Health & Wellness Programs
" BioMarin has this, in their own DNA, an approach: they only work on projects for which they know the underlying biology."Lon C., Chief Scientific Officer
"We’ve got to understand: What are the problems other people are trying to solve? And do we have a better way of fundamentally doing that?"Brinda B, GVP, Corporate and Business Development
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are looking for a highly motivated team member with extensive experience in AAV downstream purification to be a key contributor in the Genetics Research and Delivery Group. Incumbent will be responsible for supporting the purification of research grade AAV vectors and downstream process development efforts within the Genetics Research and Delivery Group.
- Support the purification of research grade AAV vectors for early stage research projects
- Independently design and conduct purification projects and process development activities including column and membrane chromatography, filtration and membrane separations, scale-up, and technology transfer to Process Sciences.
- Drive design of experimental studies needed to support process improvements to enhance process reliability, improve process yields and develop strategies for scale-up
- Partner with the Upstream and Analytical leads in Research and Process Sciences to build effective CMC strategies for gene therapy candidates
- Support the investigation and evaluation of novel and innovative technologies for AAV downstream processes
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biochemistry, or a related field with 2-5 years of relevant experience, Master’s degree with 6-8 years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- A strong understanding of AAV biology and the fundamentals of AAV purification operations including chromatography and/or membrane separations is required.
- Demonstrated experience developing successful harvest, filtration, chromatography and other AAV unit operations
- Hands-on experience with upstream production and AAV analytics is preferred
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
PhD or equivalent relevant experience, plus 0-2+ years industry experience
PhD or equivalent relevant experience plus 2-5+ years industry experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About our location
Meet Our Team
From internationally renowned scientists to patient advocates, BioMarin Hemophilia has brought together the right people.Read More
In the News
BioMarin has entered into a preclinical collaboration and license agreement with DiNAQOR, a gene therapy platform company, to develop novel gene therapies to treat rare genetic cardiomyopathies.Learn More