Research Associate I or II, Delivery, Biology ResearchLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Biology Research department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. is seeking a highly motivated and detail oriented Analytical Chemist at the Research Associate level. As part of the Delivery Group, the successful candidate will drive scientific innovation using analytical assay development expertise to inform and accelerate research programs. Through internal and external partnerships, the Delivery Group develops drug-delivery technologies and evaluates new platforms (nanoparticles, prodrugs, protein conjugates) to more efficiently deliver therapies to target tissues and systems.
This bench-focused position will assist in the generation and evaluation of delivery technologies by developing and executing analytical assays to interrogate the composition and in vitro properties of drug-delivery systems. The successful candidate will have broad experience with mass spectrometry-based assays. This position offers a unique career opportunity to work on diverse projects from exploratory research through late-stage pre-clinical programs in a variety of indications. Correspondingly, there will be extensive opportunities to learn new skills and techniques as project needs arise. The successful candidate will be curious and motivated to approach each challenge as a new learning opportunity while applying their detail-oriented mindset to generate high-quality data and drive projects forward. The candidate will interact with all facets of Research and Early Development to advance our most promising research programs for rare diseases.
This Research Associate position will report to a Scientist in the Delivery Group and will have the opportunity to influence the evolution of this team in a growing biotech company.
- Develop, execute, and analyze diverse mass spectrometry-based assays to interrogate the properties of drug delivery systems in vitro and in vivo
- Assist in the generation and characterization of bioconjugates for delivery strategies
- Prepare SOPs and other documents such as data reports for testing results.
- Participate and present data as a member of Delivery Group and share responsibility for project milestones.
- Participate in scientific meetings and report findings to the broader research community
- Detail oriented, organized, and experienced bench scientist
- Must have significant experience in developing, executing, and analyzing MS assays for diverse analytes (protein, small molecule, etc.)
- Comfortable with data analysis tools (Excel, GraphPad, SpotFire, etc.)
- Prior experience with assay development in medium throughput formats (96, 384-well plates)
- Automated liquid handling experience is a plus (Agilent Bravo or other)
- Experience with bioconjugations is a plus
Preferred: Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology or related fields. Established field of expertise in analytical chemistry, mass spectrometry, assay development, or similar.
Research Associate 1:
Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of lab experience
Research Associate 2:
Bachelor’s degree with >4 years of lab experience, at least 2 of which are industry experience; Master’s degree with at least 2 years of relevant research experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.