Research Associate II/ Sr Research Associate I - Vector Biology, Gene TherapyLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Vector Biology Group at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is currently recruiting exceptional individuals at the Research Associate level. Successful candidates will join a dynamic interdisciplinary group which will develop and commercialize the major gene therapeutics for several genetic diseases. Applicants should have a Bachelors or Master’s degree in a relevant field, be experts in molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry. Experience in cell culture and molecular biology techniques are particularly desirable. Viral-based vector biology, virology, gene therapy, protein expression analysis are desirable knowledge/experience areas but not required. Teamwork, individual-initiative, and meticulous recordkeeping are essential.
- This position is to support isolation of novel viruses for evaluation in gene therapy applications.
- DNA isolation from various tissue sources
- Perform PCR, molecular cloning, DNA purification, qPCR and sequencing analysis
- Aseptic cell culture of transformed mammalian cells
- Execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Cell culture work: multiple cell lines
- Molecular biology: DNA isolation, primer design, PCR, Gibson assembly, nucleic acid purification
- Strong organization skills and ability to multitask efficiently in a dynamic environment
- Candidates proficient in use of Microsoft excel, PowerPoint, Snapgene, BLAST, GraphPad Prism
- Gene therapy experience is a plus but not required.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Research Associate I: Bachelors degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience - OR - a Masters' degree with minimal work experience
- Research Associate II: Bachelors degree and at least 4 years of experience - OR - a Masters degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience
- 1+ years of experience in cell culture and molecular biology techniques.
- Strong organization skills and computer skills.
- Laboratory equipment.
- Must be able to work in a team format and present data at internal meetings.
- No directs reports.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.