Sr. Manager, Global Strategic Sourcing, Pre-Clinical and Clinical Programs
Location United States, RemoteWorkstyle Remote Only Apply
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin Global Finance Operations and Reporting (GFOR) is growing rapidly with the overall company and developing into a leading edge global finance organization. BioMarin has over $1 billion of annual revenues and operations in over 40 countries that drive significant accounting, finance and information systems complexity. BioMarin has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global team that is eager to deliver world-class accounting and finance operations services to our stakeholders.
The Global Sourcing and Procurement team resides within the finance organization, and partners with the entire company to design and execute category strategies, valuable supplier contracts and relationships, and procurement processes and systems for products and services provided by third parties.
Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) within Global Sourcing and Procurement is the center of excellence for industry best practice category management and sourcing for indirect goods and services not directly related to the drug manufacturing process. The group utilizes rigorous processes, procedures and tools for category planning, execution and maintenance for identified stakeholder groups across BioMarin’s global enterprise.
The Manager, Global Strategic Sourcing role focuses on defining and implementing strategies, policies, and objectives related to the Category Management, Strategic Sourcing and Supplier Management of the Pre-clinical and Clinical areas of spend. Candidates must have a strong understanding of the Strategic Sourcing and Category Management processes, as well as knowledge of the R&D, Clinical and Laboratory Services spend categories. The success of this role is dependent on the candidate’s ability to build strong relationships with stakeholder business partners within the BioMarin WWRD organization, obtain consensus and drive decisions, and structure and realize value from the programs and spend in these areas.
The Manager, Global Strategic Sourcing will report to the Director, Global Strategic Sourcing and Category Management, and will frequently partner with leadership of the broader Finance staff and WWRD stakeholder functions within the business.
- Utilize spend analytics, market research and trends, and supplier intelligence to understand category spend – trends, spread across business and across suppliers.
- Define category strategies and sourcing strategies to gain efficiency and drive quality, value and optimal total cost of ownership within the spend/category and with supplier partners.
- Define and lead cross-functional stakeholder teams to understand and ensure business strategies and requirements are met for the category.
- Execute RFx and supplier selection processes with cross-functional sourcing teams.
- Understand risk elements of suppliers within the category markets, and define/engage risk assessment and mitigation tactics for those risk elements.
- Develop, negotiate, support, and manage global contracts with suppliers in line with stakeholder / business needs and sound contracting structures and terms.
- Quantify and report savings/value of category contracts and spend and related supplier relationships; understand and measure compliance with, and utilization of, global agreements and relationships.
- Implement supplier relationship management and governance programs to ensure/increase value and supplier performance and drive innovation within the spend categories.
- Lead development and implementation of internal GSS team processes, policies and tools that support overall team activities and objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, business, or life sciences; MBA desirable, C.P.M. or A.P.P. desirable
- 7+ years strategic procurement experience with extensive knowledge of category management and advanced sourcing, complex contract negotiations expertise
- Past experience leading multiple categories within the pre-clinical and clinical space, including a solid understanding of the drug development process
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong analytical skill set required to drive problem-solving and innovative solutions.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
Remote position: Headquarters in San Rafael, CA but candidate can be based anywhere in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 119,200 to $ 178,800 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.