Intern - Cytometry Core SRL (Shared Resource Lab)Location San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Center of Technology (CoTe) within RED is a new, centralized laboratory that provides expert advice, service, training and open access to state-of-the-art flow cytometry and mass spectrometry technologies, as well as the procurement of rare biospecimens. We aspire to accelerate early research programs, generate breakthrough data, influence the course of clinical development, and enable scientific creativity across all of WWRD.
The position will involve working directly with the Lead Technical Scientist in the Cytometry Core within the Center of Technology.
Skills the Intern, Cytometry Core SRL (Shared Resource Lab) will gain:
- Knowledge of how flow cytometry and cell sorting are used in a biotechnology environment to support research, bioanalysis, and clinical work
- Knowledge in how to operate a flow cytometer and sorter (either virtually or in person)
- Training in a typical flow cytometry assay including complex options for data analysis
- Experience in a Shared Resource Laboratory (SRL or Core Lab) touching many parts of the drug discovery process
- This internship will be a hybrid of working onsite and remotely. This role would require the student to be onsite at the San Rafael campus 2-3 days per week.
- Housing / Accommodations is the responsibility of the Intern.
- Molecular Biology and Molecular Biology Laboratory or equivalent courses
- Cell Biology or Molecular Immunology or equivalent courses
- Cell Biology Laboratory or Molecular Immunology Laboratory or equivalent courses
- Experience with common biochemistry and molecular biology techniques
- Experience with sterile cell culture techniques
- Comfort working and communicating in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, collaborative research environment
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work
- Major in biochemistry, cell biology or equivalent, with an interest in a laboratory career preferred
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- This position will require the student to be onsite 2-3 days a week at the San Rafael, CA campus; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.