Intern - BioAnalytical SciencesLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
Critical to the success of each new therapeutic, Bioanalytical Sciences develops and validates novel assays to measure pharmacokinetics, immunogenicity and biomarkers. We have an opening for a summer intern to work on a gene therapy project investigating the mechanisms of vector uptake into target cells and characterizing the expressed transgene product. The position will be focused on bench work using common techniques in cell biology, molecular biology, and protein biochemistry. Possible techniques could include immunoassays, flow cytometry, quantitative PCR, and mass spectrometry.
This Summer Intern position will work closely with a Scientist in our Assay Strategy and Development group, and will have the opportunity to design, conduct and interpret experiments as well as present their work to the broader department. This opportunity offers a real-world glimpse of the type of skills needed to land a laboratory-based job at a biotechnology company.
- Major in biochemistry, cell biology or equivalent, with an interest in a laboratory career preferred
- Experience withcommon biochemistry and molecular biology techniques
- Comfort working and communicating in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, collaborative research environment
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.