Intern, BioAnalytical ScienceLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The BioAnalytical Sciences group within Translational Sciences develops methods and generates data to answer key questions in the non-clinical and clinical development of new therapeutics. The ideal candidate will have a flexible mindset, natural curiosity, and motivation to understand biology through genetic, molecular, and biochemical analyses.
We have an opening for a summer intern to work on a investigating genetic diagnostic assays in support of patient selection for clinical studies in development.
This Summer Intern position will work closely with an Associate Director in our Assay Diagnostics and Lifecycle Management group, and will have the opportunity to research various genetic diagnostic approaches and methods as well as present their work to the broader department. This opportunity offers a real-world glimpse into the development and validation of diagnostics assays and the type of skills needed to land a job in assay development at a biotechnology company.
- Experience with common biochemistry and molecular biology techniques
- Strong interest in understanding human genetics and the assays used to study genetic differences
- Experience or familiarity with DNA microarrays, single nucleotide polymorphism analysis, and PCR techniques
- Student in their 3rd or 4th year pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in genetics, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or equivalent, with an interest in a biotechnology career preferred
- Comfort working and communicating in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary, collaborative research environment
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
- Housing and Transportation is the responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly speaker seminar series with Executive Staff
In the U.S., the hiring range for this position is $ 21.00 to $ 25.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.