Director - Global Brand Management (PKU)Location San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin leads the biotechnology industry in delivering therapies for chronic and degenerative genetic conditions that reduce patients' quality of life and shorten life spans. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. BioMarin focuses on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind and make a big difference in improving patients' lives.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join our global brand management team as Commercial Brand Lead for PKU ; responsible for one marketed product for PKU and one drug candidate currently under FDA and EMA regulatory review.
Global leadership role for our PKU brands. Kuvan, for mild to moderate PKU and drug candidate Pegvaliase, for moderate to severe adult PKU. As part of the Rare Disease portfolio, reports directly to VP, Global Brand Management.
The Global PKU Brand Director is responsible for strategically leading the global marketing and commercialization efforts and setting the long-term vision for the PKU franchise. This position includes: developing and implementing the PKU franchise strategy; executing global product and disease marketing programs; being a champion for the brands across the commercial functions and the broader organization; successfully co-positioning the two products; and leading the commercial efforts for launching and commercializing our pipeline candidate for PKU, pegvaliase.
Demonstrated strategic, operational, organizational, problem solving, communications, and project management skills are required. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to get things done are critical. This professional is a disciplined risk-taker that embraces innovative approaches, and is comfortable in a growing commercial organization. The PKU Franchise Lead must be creative and adaptable to unique and changing situations, be a self-starter, goal-oriented, know how to set aggressive, achievable targets, and motivate internal cross-functional teams as well as third-party vendors and agencies.
- Manage both brands through the evolution of their lifecycle; including franchise/brand co-positioning, influencing lifecycle management and market access strategies.
- Lead global brand planning and business planning, create and manage to operational budget annually
- Collaborate closely with (4) regional teams worldwide to foster ongoing launch success, and ensuring global strategies and tactics are well aligned with regional needs and priorities
- Global Marketing execution, including maintaining brand ID, global positioning, global messaging, and execution of global marketing tactics while also supporting (from a strategic brand perspective) regional execution of regional tactics
- Responsible for identifying, developing and managing key global marketing activities such as advocacy, disease education, advisory board meetings, scientific messaging, congress presence, and KOL management and development plans, and appropriate input into publication plan.
- Represent commercial organization on the product Core Team/Lifecycle Team to maximize current and future franchise/product value.
- Provide expert guidance and leadership on the commercial potential and market landscape to core teams and executive leadership, informing strategies such as medical plans, market access initiatives, and life cycle plans.
- Represents PKU franchise as needed for executive presentations.
- Works closely with market access to provide input and support for global value messaging and dossier.
- Partner with colleagues cross-functionally to establish and ensure consistent goals, strategies, and efforts to best serve the global physician and patient communities
- Develops and manage a cost center budget to support the needs and resources required to manage the function and programs
- Works with internal and external cross-functional groups (Medical Affairs, Compliance, Regulatory, Development, and Product Portfolio Management) and external (Ad Agency, Market Research agency) to ensure consistent goals, strategies, and efforts to best serve the global physician and patient communities
- Active contributor to marketing leadership team; to ensure best practices and alignment across our marketed product franchise teams.
- Provides strategic direction on LRP forecasts, budgets and overall resources for franchise
- Devise commercial strategies which address unmet medical needs and maximize current and future franchise/product value.
- Manage and support career growth of direct reports
EXPERIENCE and SKILLS
- 10+ years of professional marketing experience in biotechnology or pharmaceuticals
- Track record of leadership success interacting at all levels of a matrix organization, cross-functionally and cross-geography
- Strong collaboration, communication, and presentation skills
- Self Motivated
- Can persuade and influence others
- Organizational savvy
- Deals with ambiguity
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment
- Has Leadership experience with direct reports
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Operates quickly and decisively in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Orphan/ultra orphan disease experience
- Pre-launch and product launch experience
- Global and regional marketing experience in biotechnology and/or pharmaceuticals
- Experience interacting with key opinion leaders and patient advocacy groups
- Bachelors degree, preferably in business or life sciences
- MBA preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.