Associate Director, Portfolio StrategyLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Product Portfolio Development (PPD) group is responsible for BioMarin’s corporate and R&D governance, business operating model (core teams and sub-teams) and portfolio strategy. PPD integrates overall product strategy and ensures planning and timely execution to inform decision making and development of therapies and life cycle strategies at BioMarin.
OVERVIEW: PPD – Portfolio Strategy
Product & Portfolio Development (PPD) group is responsible for providing best-in-class program & portfolio management, core team leadership, patient advocacy & competitive insights to optimize BioMarin’s on-market, clinical, and research programs. Portfolio Strategy supports the corporate strategic vision and objectives by balancing and optimizing BioMarin’s product portfolio by delivering analytical frameworks and drawing business insights from the analysis of the portfolio.
The Associate Director is an experienced team player with a strong foundation in pharma R&D portfolio strategy and solid business analytics skills who will support portfolio planning activities as well as portfolio decision analysis. This role will facilitate cross-funcitonal team discussions and provide critical analytic expertise addressing business questions about the portfolio and will need to have the ability to simultaneously tackle a variety of business issues using various analytic techniques (e. g. decision analysis, different forecasting methodologies and valuation techniques). This role will be a key partner with the PPD Office of Business Operations and Finance. This role reports to the Senior Director of Portfolio Strategy, within the Product and Portfolio Development group.
- Lead the design, implementation, and management of advanced business analytical tools, processes, and methodologies to facilitate and guide decisions related to portfolio strategy formulation and optimization.
- Conduct rigorous quantitative portfolio analyses to address key strategic portfolio questions; support decision-making with sound data analysis, insight generation, and communication with key stakeholders.
- Provide targeted support for BioMarin’s long-range strategic planning process and other critical business needs.
- Faciliate Program Core Team discussions to develop and conduct impactful business / decision analysis approaches to drive scenario considerations in support of decision-making at corporate governance forums.
Following demonstrated success in the role, the candidate may have the opportunity to take on additional organization-wide responsibilities of greater scope and complexity.
- Bachelors degree required in business, decision-analysis, medicine/science, or related quantitative field; MBA degree or other advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in healthcare investment banking, pharma/biotech equity research and/or strategy consulting, decision analysis, or strategic planning within a pharma/biotech company.
- Excellent, game-changing analytical, quantitative and creative problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in a range of forecasting and valuation techniques and the use of these outputs to drive key strategic insights and considerations for stakeholders. Experience with other types of advanced analytical modeling techniques and visualization tools is also highly desirable.
- Hands-on proficiency with Excel macros, and ability to use advanced decision support analytical tools (e. g. decision analysis software, Monte Carlo simulation, and optimization).
- Ability to think strategically, and to skillfully manage competing priorities.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex analysis into clear and succinct insights.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with internal partners.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team based environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in data analysis and visualization tools (e. g. Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, Microsoft Access, Enrich Analytica)
- Absent a medical or religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated.
Internal: All Global functional areas, World Wide Research & Development, Product Portfolio Development, Finance, Commercial and Technical Operations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.