Associate Director of Technology SolutionsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Senior Technology Solutions Manager/Associate Director of
Job Description / Skills Required
The candidate will join the lab operations team supporting technology needs of the Research and Early Development (RED) group.The candidate for this role is a leader in the design, development and use of existing application systems and infrastructure principles as well as assessing emerging technologies for applicability to the Research.A key system is theBenchling platform and the candidate will be a key contributor to the successful implementation and on-going support of Benchling across RED (non-GXP).Duties may also include maintaining and supporting existing lab information systems. The candidate filling this role will be responsible for troubleshooting technology issues, in coordination with internal business partners, IM and vendors.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with Research and Early Development teams to gather system requirements
- Document functional and configuration specifications
- Provide technical assistance and training for end users. Contribute work instructions and knowledge base articles that can be referenced by end users.
- Participate in the implementation and configuration of other scientific data capture applications.
- Convert requirements into notebook templates, registry schemas, and request workflows in Benchling that will boost scientist productivity and ensure consistent data capture
- Work with vendor services and support teams to implement new features and resolve issues
- Build reporting tools and/or “insights” to provide dashboards to various business units in the RED and the rest of the company.
- Provide ongoing administrative support for lab applications including account provisioning, access management, and adjusting user defined fields
- Monitor usage of Benchling and other applications and identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Hand-off technical information to the corporate IT Help Desk to enable the Help Desk to resolve routine technical issues
- Maintain and build vendor relationships
- Work with business partners to support the governance of the platform
- Identify areas of technology and data Integration
- Understands client needs and their impact on the technical direction of a solution.
- Analyzes the current state of relevant technology and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Evaluates the applicability of new technologies, provides technical guidance to others, and provides input to the future IT and/or business strategy.
- Contributes in new technical and architectural strategies, and new processes to meet business challenges, in full consideration of their costs and benefits.
- Participates in planning and designing appropriate technologies to meet the evolving needs of the business
- Makes technology-related recommendations in coordination with business partners for hardware and software solutions
- Conducts complete diagnosis of most business problems, factoring in a strong understanding of the technical architecture.
- Will serve as a business technical lead on selected small or large sized projects
- Leads technical design sessions, contributing novel insights to address business problems, including anticipating and proactively addressing roadblocks and obstacles in the project
- Integrates the efforts and perspectives of multiple stakeholders and resources to effectively manage and deliver on expectations
- Participates in the review of vendor proposals and makes recommendations to management
- Required to create runbook for new application for use in support and maintenance of the system application or platform.
What you'll bring
- 4 year degree in Biology, Information Technology, or related discipline. Or equivalent experience
- 8-10+ years experience in Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical, or related industry
- Experience maintaining, supporting, or using LIMS, electronic lab notebook, biological or chemical registry, or sample management system
- Demonstrated understanding of laboratory operations in a research and development lab
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to both scientific and non-scientific staff
- Familiarity with software validation or qualification procedures
- Python or SQL competency
- Experience working as a lab scientist or technician
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.