Associate Director, Medical CommunicationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Director functions as a key member of the Global Medical Affairs (GMAF) team, providing leadership and oversight to the Medical Communication staff to ensure high quality scientific outputs with appropriate utilization of resources. The AD will develop publication plans and manage publication program strategy for assigned product and therapeutic areas, and oversee scientific messaging for marketed and clinical products.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Publication Strategy and Planning
- Develop and ensure timely execution of the publication plans for products in BioMarin’s lysosomal storage disease programs
- Lead development of scientific messaging and maintain and implement scientific messaging platforms
- Ensure cross-functional alignment of messaging and strategies to address gaps
- Develop expert knowledge of product- and disease-specific literature and oversee literature and gap analyses to support scientific message development and publication strategy
- Organize and implement advisory boards and expert meetings necessary for publication strategy development; collaborate with MDs to develop agenda and content, manage vendors, and attend and present as needed
- Support scientific congress activities including development of content for symposia
- Facilitate the external/independent development of treatment and management guidelines
Publication Content Creation
- Research, draft, and edit scientific and medical manuscripts, abstracts, posters, and presentations
- Manage agency and/or contract medical writers and/or statistical programmers, as needed
- Ensure all medical communications outputs meet the highest standards of medical/scientific integrity
- Ensure activities adhere to authorship and publication guidelines as stipulated by ICMJE and GPP3
- Assist with maintenance and reconciliation activities within publication development database
- Respond to internal and external questions about any publications for product area
- Participate in cross-functional team meetings to share publication planning status and issues and maintain awareness of overall product publication plan
- Provide support for management of the Medical Communications budget
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interpret, analyze and communicate complex scientific data
- Advanced understanding of statistical and clinical research concepts
- Understanding of biotech/pharmaceutical clinical and regulatory processes
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to lead cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
Education & Experience
- Advanced degree (MS or higher) in life or health sciences is required
- 8 or more years of relevant experience in medical communications, publication planning and/or medical writing
- 3 or more years managing direct reports is preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.