Research AssociateLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Research Associate will support formulation development activities of novel molecules (proteins, enzymes, virus-like particles) during clinical development and commercialization. Formulation development activities include stability testing and characterization of routes of degradation in liquid and solid state formulations under a variety of real time, accelerated, physical, and chemical stress conditions.
Candidate will work under general supervision of a manager and support in the design and execution of formulation development studies. The successful candidate will make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret/present results. The prospective individual should be familiar with and be able to follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for experimental operation and data recording.
This is a laboratory-based position and the candidate must be familiar with laboratory operations (weighing chemicals, balance operation, pH measurement, buffer preparation, lab safety). Familiarity with analytical techniques including PCR, liquid chromatography, and thermoanalysis methods such as DSC is a plus.
The prospective employee will work in the Formulation Development group to assist in the advancement of BioMarin’s therapeutics for clinical evaluation and potential commercialization. The candidate will be responsible for characterization of drug products, screening of formulation prototypes, evaluating product stability and compatibility with various container closure systems using routine and semi-routine analytical methods under limited supervision. The selected candidate should possess excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment. Activities included, but not limited to be:
- Preparation of assay reagents and buffers
- Perform routine and semi-routine analysis of drug product formulations using chromatographic (reverse phase, size exclusion and ion exchange HPLC), spectrophotometric (UV-VIS, fluorescence), and standard wet chemistry techniques
- Familiarity with nucleic acid quantification techniques such as qPCR or ddPCR
- Learn and perform analysis of data and interpretation of experimental results
- Prepare and deliver effective oral presentations at department and interdepartmental meetings
- Maintain good and timely documentation of experiments
- Contribute to and provide solutions to technical problems and think creatively
- Follow Test methods, SOPs, policies, and regulations, and to perform routine lab equipment maintenance is required
- B.S. in Pharmaceutical Science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Bioengineering or related discipline.
- 2+ years of relevant laboratory experience in a pharmaceutical/R&D environment
- Candidate should have a working knowledge of performing HPLC based experiments using Agilent Chemstation, Waters Empower or Thermo Chromeleon
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong problem-solving, documentation and organizational skills with a focus on details and results
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.