Research Associate 1Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The selected candidate will work in the Formulation Development group to assist in the advancement of BioMarin’s therapeutics for clinical evaluation and potential commercialization. The candidate will be responsible characterization drug products, screening of formulation prototypes, evaluating product stability and compatibility with various container closure systems using routine and semi-routine analytical methods under limited supervision. The selected candidate should possess excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
- Preparation of assay reagents and buffers.
- Perform routine and semi-routine analysis of drug product formulations using chromatographic (reverse phase, size exclusion and Ion exchange HPLC), spectrophotometric (UV-VIS, florescence), and standard wet chemistry techniques.
- Effectively design, execute and provide analysis of experiments with minimal supervision
- Write protocols and technical reports summarizing experimental findings
- Maintain thorough and timely documentation of experiments
- Communicate experimental results in a clear, succinct and logical fashion
- Prepare and deliver effective oral presentations at relevant department and cross functional meetings
- Deliver reliable results according to project timelines with limited supervision
- Interact in a collegial and professional manner with internal and external
- Follow SOPs, policies, and regulations rigorously and perform routine lab equipment maintenance.
B.S. or M.S in the Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or related scientific discipline
- At least 2 years of relevant experience or minimal experience with Masters.
- Fully proficient in fundamental laboratory techniques and equipment
- Ability to efficiently plan, design and execute experiments under limited supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of analytical techniques—HPLCs, calorimetry, Karl Fischer, spectrophotometry, light scattering, Freeze Drying Microscopy, pH, Osmolality—used for drug product screening/characterization is preferred.
- Experience with formulation development activities (pH profiling, excipient/formulation prototype screening, compatibility evaluation of drug product with fill-finish processing materials and container closure components, managing stability programs) is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with gene therapy is preferred but not required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.