Intern, Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) PurificationLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) Purification Intern will assist in the development of continuous purification processes. During the course of this internship, the intern will gain firsthand experience in applying biochemical engineering principles to the production of recombinant therapeutic enzymes. Furthermore, they will gain extensive experience with purification chromatography, Tangential/Normal Flow Filtration, analytical methods, experimental design and data mining/analysis. This position involves close collaboration with scientists/engineers, and provides the opportunity to interact with process development, manufacturing, and quality control groups.
- Currently enrolled in a science-based university program, preferably in Biochemical Engineering or Biological Sciences.
- Experience in chromatography and analytical lab skills, such as HPLC, ELISA, and Wester Blot.
- Experience of purification FPLC, such as ÄKTA is a plus.
- Strong communication skills, as they will be involved in projects that involve presenting data to collaborators and will assist in writing memos, protocols and reports.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.