Intern - Functional GenomicsLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Process Science Department at BioMarin is currently offering an internship opportunity for a student in life sciences/Genomics/Bioinformatics to join its Technology Development Team. The successful candidate will beactively engaged to take part in the development of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) based assays, NGS bioinformatics tools development, automation of bioinformatics analysis workflows, algorithm development/optimization,and functional genomics of production cell lines with Illumina/PacBio NGS platforms.
The successful candidate will be an individual who enjoys team work, organized and a self-starter who is very keen in gaining experience in cutting-edge technologies to find a cure for patients in a pharma industry settings. The key roles will be DNA/RNA isolation, cell culture, NGS/RNAseq library preparation, quality control, NGS data acquisition, command line scripting for NGS data analysis,data management and functional in vitro validation assays in the wet lab.
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Master’s or PhD degree in Biology/life sciences/Genetics/Bioinformatics or in a related field of study with minimum of first year completed
- Prior experience in molecular cell biology techniques, molecular biology reagents preparations, meticulous volumetric/molarity/normality calculations, cell cultureand genetic manipulation of cell lines in aseptic conditions, functional validation experiments in vitro and familiarity with lab-biosafety rules and regulations
- Proficiency in Python, R, Shiny, big data analytics, HPC computing and NGS algorithm development is preferred
- Comfort and enthusiasm in exploratory biology/molecular genetics and
- Efficient scientific communication skills in a highly dynamic and collaborative matrix organizationand in internal department meetingsand scientific report writings
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.