Intern, Business Operations Site CommunicationsLocation Novato, California Apply
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
BioMarin at a Glance
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
Business Operations supports local and corporate initiatives, provides administration, and partners with stakeholderswithin Technical Operations to support innovative learning and business improvement solutions. The functions within Business Operations are divided into Continuous Improvement and Learning & Development.
Site Communications Team
The Business Operations Department oversees the initiative to increase effective communication. The Site Communications Team was founded to ensure our widely varied team are:
- Aligned on our most important priorities so that they can make decisions in the best interest of the business and each other
- Engaged in our very important work and feel the impact of our interconnected work
- Informed on initiatives, decisions, and other content so that we all contribute to our best ability
We work in alignment with the Technical Operations Global Strategy Team in these efforts. Our current main priority is the launch of digital signage on campus, but will soon be taking on many other streams of communication to achieve our goals
Intern Project Description
The Site Communications Team Intern will work to support our current major initiative of Digital Signage communication, which is moving from pilot phase into full implementation in late spring. The Intern will also support additional communications projects, which will be prioritized and defined during our second quarter. These may include performing analyses or conducting research to evaluate effectiveness of current projects, designing and managing systems to support implementations of upcoming initiatives, research and design guidelines for best practices to support upcoming initiatives.
The Intern may have the opportunity to contribute to other projects and engage with other teams in Business Operations depending on workload management.
This unique role allows for exposure to all departments within our Technical Operations area, learning about what motivates each group, and how to effectively support alignment and engagement across such a diverse group of interests. Projects will also provide the opportunity to hone skills in communication, project management, influencing and motivating, strategic thinking, and analysis.
- Proactive, comfortableworking independently and in teams
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Organized, and able to effectively prioritize tasks
- Motivated by a fast-paced environment
- Strong desire to learn, and ability to learn quickly
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365: primarily Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Experience in managing or supporting large projects, groups of people, or events
- Experience interacting with varied groups of people
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly
- Ability to meet deadlines without prompting.
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.