BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin is a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as excellent organizational skills.
This position is responsible for the purchasing and planning of raw materials used in manufacturing in a GMP environment. It is expected this will be achieved through thorough and collaborative demand analysis, use of MRP, purchase order execution/management, development of strong cross-functional relationships, solid supplier relationship development, performance measurement and contracting with a focus on internal customer needs.
This role will be responsible for maintaining the ongoing supply of all raw materials used in manufacturing our products in the 0 to 12-month horizon. This position may also have responsibility for purchasing of non-GMP related items and will involve working closely with Colleagues in Global Procurement where the 1 year to 5-year sourcing requirements of the business are the focus. The Buyer will also operate at a level in the organization which has a more visible impact in day to day operations
Contacts: This position will interact with the following groups both in the US headquarters and at our Irish Facility: Manufacturing, Planning, Logistics, Purchasing, Finance, Process Development and MSAT.
- Understands the position of products in the marketplace (supply/demand trends, pricing, availability)
- Supports the identification and management of prospective suppliers
- Analysis of product life cycles
- Identifies and secures BioMarin’s utilisation/spend information from internal and external sources
- Conducts financial analysis not limited to the following:
- Opportunity/cost savings analyses
- Comparative analyses of bids
- Provides professional summaries and recommendations for purchasing decisions
- Skilful at using a variety of tools and source documents to strategize and develop meaningful information for management and internal customers
- Successfully negotiates single transactions and longer-term commitments where required
- Employs negotiating techniques that are appropriate for the product line and supplier
- Identifies opportunities for savings resulting in lower costs and value-added concessions
- Supports individual supplier performance with the aid of data and internal customer feedback
- Supports supplier - related customer complaints through to resolution
- Analyses BioMarin’s purchases and identifies opportunities for partnerships and consolidations
- Participates in, and is a contributor to the Supplier Certification/Qualification process when called upon
Cross Functional Facilitation
- Identifies issues/products/suppliers that impact multiple departments and solicits input to optimise the purchasing process and value to BioMarin
- Aligns with Purchasing Group Colleagues to ensure a collaborative approach to purchasing is achieved
- Successfully establishes relationships with internal clients
- Develops awareness of internal customer needs and appropriately responds to their requests
- Identifies and brings to management’s attention customer service issues
- Highly skilled at electronic spreadsheet analysis (Excel based)
- Develops and maintains a high level of proficiency on the internal procurement system and MRP (Oracle)
- Other duties as assigned including project and process improvement work
- Preferred 5-10 years of GMP purchasing experience
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of purchasing experience
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite and Procurement Systems)
- Ability to work collaboratively and facilitate meetings
- Strong customer service, communication, leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience in a Biotech/Pharmaceutical Research or Manufacturing environment a strong plus
- Oracle MRP / ERP experience is an advantage
- CPM or APICs certification a plus
- Tolling experience and facilitation of tolling transactions an advantage
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Supply Chain/Science or similar
- Professional affiliations or memberships are an advantage
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.