Business Process ConsultantLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Business Process Consultant (BPC) is dedicated to business process reengineering (analysis, mapping and optimization) to enable the routine delivery of exceptional business process performance. This position is within the Business Process Engineering (BPE) function of Supply Chain and supports operational improvement initiatives throughout Technical Operations (TOPS). The BPC will collaborate with Business Process Owners (BPO) to prioritize and drive business process improvement. The role reports into the Director, Business Process Engineering in Novato, California and is an office based role with minimal travel.
The BPC supports the following goal areas within BPE:
- Business Process Reengineering
- The role will leverage the TOPs End to End Business Process Framework to define, optimize and maintain business processes.
- Kaizen, DMAIC Project and Lean Toolbox
- Continuous Improvement Education, Training and Certification
- Idea to Project & Project Prioritization
- Best Agreed Global Practices
Detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Contribute to complex cross-functional business process improvement initiatives in TOPs using defined Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering tools to:
- Identify gaps and inefficiencies to current state business processes.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and the desired future state.
- Prioritize the opportunities.
- Assist project teams with implementing improvements.
- Recognize barriers to improvement efforts and work to remove them.
- Generate project charter, SIPOC, project schedule, Business Process Definition, current and future state process maps, proposed solution plan, road map, impact/effort matrix, metrics with approval from BPO and Business Process Managers (BPM).
- Process mapping for software capital projects.
- Completing all projects by agreed due dates.
- Providing process improvement training.
- Supporting root cause analyses.
- Collecting and reporting metrics.
- Participating in regular staff and strategy meetings to agree priorities and tactics.
- Maintaining content of the BPE Website
- Maintaining alignment in methodology, procedure and governance within TOPs.
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results.
- Ownership and Accountability – Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
Communication - Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Planning/Organization - Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
Analytical Problem Solving – Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation, and execution.
- Customer focused - Partners with customers, looks ahead to predict future customer needs. Manages expectations.
- Science, Engineering, Business BS/BA required or 3-5 years of business/operations experience.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification required (Black belt preferred).
- Business Process Management (End to End Process) experience preferred.
- APICS certification a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a manufacturing/supply chain environment required (bio-tech/pharmaceutical operations experience preferred) with a proven track record of successfully leading, facilitating and managing large, cross-functional, business process improvement (Operational Excellence) initiatives.
- Minimum of 3 years of project management/management experience required, managing a range of small and large projects and teams.
- Sound knowledge of cGMPs and equivalent industry regulations.
- Knowledge and previous work experience with process mapping, Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering.
- Working knowledge of electronic GMP systems (Trackwise, LIMS, CMMS, Oracle EBS, SAP, etc.) preferred.
- Working knowledge of business process management Software (Pega7, Blue Works, Oracle BPM, etc.) preferred.
- Familiarity with Visio or other process mapping tools.
- Knowledge of performance measurement tools and metrics.
- Good facilitation, change management, interpersonal and problem solving skills required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.