Director, Global ProcurementLocation Novato, California
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director, Global Procurement will lead BioMarin’s GMP Raw Material Procurement function and deliver value in the following areas: maximizing leverage in the marketplace, increasing value in operations, ensuring continuity and quality of supply, and managing risk. This role is instrumental to building BioMarin’s category management, sourcing, contracting, supplier quality and risk management capabilities as well as the enhancing the capabilities of the category managers. This role serves as an experienced lead negotiator for the company’s highest-value and most complex vendor agreements and is responsible for cultivating strong supplier relationships and providing excellent customer service to internal and external business partners.
- Leads Global Category Management team - including category managers and supplier quality technical managers - and ensures strong category management strategies and supplier quality processes empower procurement to address new complexities and support the business.
- Create minimum category strategy documentation requirements, randomly sample documented category strategies for evaluation, create clear evaluation criteria for category strategies, and debrief the strategy evaluation results with category managers.
- Lead negotiator for top suppliers - negotiates contracts, pricing/supply agreement, inventory strategies and total cost agreements.
- Design sourcing strategies and develop supplier relationships that achieve maximum value from the current and potential supplier base. Strategies are continuously challenged and refined.
- Maximize leverage in the marketplace through supplier relationship management, market intelligence, and innovation.
- Increase value in operations via category management, sourcing, TCOO, and contracting.
- Ensure continuity of with effective supplier and material risk management and supplier quality management.
- Establishes annual goals and long range plans in support of BioMarin & TOPS goals and strategies.
- Maintain in depth understanding of suppliers capabilities, capacity and overall financial stability.
- Continuously evaluate and assess supplier performance reports consistent with agreed to requirements to insure consistency with quality, service and delivery targets.
- Successfully drive strategies, process/system improvements, and performance improvements through cross functional team leadership and change management.
- Develops and implements procurement policies and procedures.
- Identify process inefficiencies and lead procurement related projects for continuous improvement.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors degree required (supply chain, business/finance preferred), MBA and/or CPM/CPSM preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of leadership/management experience and proven track record for developing staff.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a supply chain or procurement role in biotechnology / life science industry with both clinical and commercial operations.
- Outstanding ability to lead cross functional improvement initiatives and successfully realize complex change management initiatives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills.
- Excellent project management skills required.
- Risk management skill set required to drive innovative solutions and problem-solving analysis and resolution.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft toolset and experience with eProcurement and ERP systems.
- Strong financial acumen.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.