Clinical Genomics ScientistLocation London, United Kingdom Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavours. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We’re looking for a candidate with a background in statistical genetics – i.e. analysing large-scale genomic data - and ideally previous experience working within a clinical trial environment. The role’s primary goal will be to drive the generation of WGS and other omics data within BioMarin’s clinical trials. This will require the candidate to have a strong scientific skillset, but also the ability to engage with the relevant clinical teams to ensure the right scientific questions are being asked in each trial and the right samples collected & data generated to answer them.
We hope the role will offer an exciting opportunity for candidates who wish to take their expertise in analysing genomic data into the later stages of the drug development pipeline. We believe there are currently huge opportunities for genetics to improve the design of trials, allow for innovative analyses of clinical data, and ultimately help improve patient outcomes. As this is a relatively new effort at BioMarin, it also provides an exciting opportunity for the candidate to join a growing team and influence our clinical genomics strategy going forward.
The role will be based out of our London office. However, as it will include close collaboration with our colleagues at scientific and clinical sites across the globe, we are happy to consider applicants who would want to work remotely in Europe (with some restrictions).
- Build relationships across numerous clinical and research teams, to understand the needs of each trial/therapeutic and prioritise where insights from genomic data may be of most use
- Work across a range of disease areas, and have the ability to familiarise oneself with the relevant biology, clinical features and genetics
- Oversee the collection and management of genomic samples/data across multiple projects, to ensure the correct samples/data are available for each project
- Utilise WGS and other omics data to both answer specific hypothesis driven questions within trials and undertake exploratory research
- Identify and develop innovative approaches to the use of genomic data within a clinical trial setting
- PhD in statistical genetics or a related field, with experience performing large GWAS and/or analysing whole genome sequence data
- Experience leading your own research projects, particularly those using clinical trial data or collaborations spanning multiple sites/countries
- The ability to engage with internal and external partners to understand and identify key scientific questions
- Strong analytical skills (e.g. R, Python, Shell, Hail) and experience using HPC
- A clear track-record of communicating science through publications and conference presentations
Additional Ideal Experience:
- 2+ years of experience post PhD, working in academia or industry
- Previous experience working within a clinical genomic team
- Experience working across a range of disease phenotypes and/or with longitudinal data
- Experience using RNA-Seq data
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.