Associate Director, Legal Counsel EUMEA (Haemophilia)Location Dublin, Ireland Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a motivated and adaptable lawyer who will be based at the BioMarin EUMEA headquarters in Dublin city centre to provide support for the new haemophilia business unit in BioMarin. The successful candidate must have a commercial outlook, flexible attitude and enjoy working in a fast paced, international environment. We are a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as organizational skills.
Though the primary focus of the position will be on serving the legal and contractual needs of the EUMEA haemophilia business unit, the position will also support the general EUMEA BioMarin operations. The role requires a talented lawyer with superior skills and substantial experience in making sound business judgments, advising and making decisions on a broad range of legal issues across multiple business functions, as well as drafting and negotiating commercial and operational contracts – particularly in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry. The current EUMEA operations span over 50 countries and the position offers an excellent opportunity to be involved and develop expertise in a variety of foreign jurisdictions.
- Support all technical, corporate and commercial operations relating to the haemophilia business unit in the EUMEA region including legal drafting, negotiation and provision of legal advice across all functions
- Provide advice and support around pricing and reimbursement and product launch issues
- Provide legal induction and training for new business unit colleagues
- Stay up-to-date and maintain broad knowledge and awareness of legal and regulatory issues affecting the pharmaceutical sector in order to provide guidance and direction to leadership and employees
- Support EUMEA Legal department
Related skills and requirements
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively at all levels throughout the organization and externally
- Interpretation and application of a broad variety of laws, regulations and policies to complex business situations to inform business activities across over 50 countries
- Analyse legal and business risk and propose creative, business-oriented solutions, communicating clearly and succinctly
- Influence clients by identifying and communicating the risks associated with complex business activities and provides a value-added insight to evaluate and determine risks effectively – especially in areas that are somewhat undefined
- Partnering with clients by considering immediate business/legal issues in a broader business context and identifying and influencing business purposes and objectives
- Operate to tight deadlines
- Enjoy working as a team member as well as having the gravitas and confidence to operate and make decisions independently.
- Driven, self-motivated and demonstrated ability to work using own initiative.
- Assist with departmental administrative responsibilities consistent with the objectives of the legal department
- Strong knowledge of the regulatory environment in which BioMarin operates
- Strong understanding of competition law
- Keep current with evolving relevant legal and business issues, promotes corporate policies and proactively monitors BioMarin’s business environment
- Ideally a minimum of 5 years PQE as a common-law qualified lawyer.
- Experience within a large law firm (life sciences/commercial/corporate departments), or in-house within the pharmaceutical/biotech industry will be considered.
- Experience in the haemophilia area in EUMEA a major plus
- Must have enthusiasm to forge strong relationships and for becoming a business partner with a strong commitment to customer service and legal compliance
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage the diverse requirements of in-house legal department clients
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the legal and regulatory framework affecting the pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry in Ireland and across EUMEA
- Must have a “can-do” attitude
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Strong negotiation and legal drafting skills
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work on cross-border projects
- Strong task-focused work ethic with a demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and commitments
- Demonstrated effectiveness operating in complex organizational and regulatory environments
- Demonstrated flexible approach to adapt to changes in business needs due to fast paced growth of BioMarin operations.
- Proven self-motivation, a self-starter with the ability to appropriately prioritize issues, allocate resources and multi-task
- Travel to BioMarin’s manufacturing facility in Cork and international travel will be required (the level of travel is variable but likely to be around 20% which will be a mix of travel within Ireland and within the EUMEA region as well as occasional trips to headquarters in California as necessary.
Laptop and cell phone
VP, Legal and Compliance, EUMEA
Note: This description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a limitation of the duties of the position. It is intended to describe the general nature of the job that may include other duties as assumed or assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.