Director, Internal AuditLocation Cork, Ireland Apply
Director Internal Audit - Dublin or Cork
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin Internal Audit is committed to helping BioMarin achieve its full potential in transforming patient’s lives by minimizing overall company risk.
We pride ourselves in being objective and independent of the areas we assess, while maintaining our commitment to advance the organization. We provide independent assurance to the board of directors and management. Our disciplined approach evaluates the effectiveness of BioMarin’s risk management, control and governance processes. We also assist with investigations and proactive advisory projects.
An open and transparent partnership helps us develop the appropriate context and understanding of the issues at hand, minimize surprises, and drive greater value in the outcomes.
In carrying out our mission, we pledge to:
- Be a trusted partner
- Lead with integrity & enthusiasm
- Focus on what matters
- Share industry practices
BioMarin Internal Audit is a high-performing internal audit team that provides relevant business insights to company leadership and the Board, and challenging the status quo. The team is not responsible for SOX testing but leverages the SOX test results where applicable We are also building an audit data analytics platform to support in pro-actively identifying potential indicators for non-compliance, fraud and waste.
This role supports the Head of Internal Audit, and the Director will oversee or perform audits to evaluate the design and effectiveness of systems of internal control while also evaluating the adequacy of financial and/or operational controls, including company policies and procedures.
The Director will be instrumental in building a world-class internal audit team in Ireland, while being fully integrated in our global internal audit team.
The Director must demonstrate significant experience with assessing risk and demonstrate excellence in designing and implementing a risk-based approach to internal auditing in a rapidly growing, highly innovative environment. The Director effectively partners with his or her business stakeholders on audit planning, execution, and observation remediation, and is hands-on in the execution of audit from scoping the engagements through performing quality assurance.
The position of Director reports to the Executive Director of Internal Audit. The major responsibility of this position is planning of audit engagements, oversight of engagement execution, reporting audit results, as well as maintaining and further strengthening relationships with the business stakeholders.
1. Annual and on-going audit planning, including conducting risk assessments, meeting with stakeholders and presenting the planning results with company and regional leadership. We consider the business engagement key for us to learn and assess how we add value in assessing and further strengthening governance, risk management and control.
2. Planning and conducting the audit as well as reporting the results. The director and his/her team member are responsible for defining the objectives and scope of the audit, and engaging with external subject matter experts, as appropriate. The director ensures that the audit objectives are met, and audit activities are executed in line with our internal standards (based on the IIA standards). Upon completion of the audit, he / she collaborates with management to develop risk-based response and action plan; this will often include facilitating a strategic assessment of options and costs-benefits. Lastly, the responsibility includes developing CEO/Audit Committee level deliverables, including sophisticated analysis of risk & exposure.
Participate in or lead enterprise risk assessment activities, and oversee and conduct other audit engagements, including advisory engagements.
- Collaborate with Internal Audit’s data scientist, other IA members as well as other business stakeholders to enhance our data analytics capabilities.
- Participate in and support special reviews or investigations at the request of Global Compliance & Ethics personnel, senior management, or the Audit Committee.
- Perform internal Quality Assessments to ensure we comply with the International Professional Practices Framework as established by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Maintain existing certifications and seek further certification where appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree required
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, or Certified Fraud Examiner designation
- 12+ years in public accounting, internal audit or advisory for a big four firm, or a combination of big four firm and internal audit with a global corporation.
- 4+ years of Biotech/Pharmaceutical/Life Science experience preferred.
- Ability to work with ambiguity, and respond to a rapidly changing, highly innovative environment
- Demonstrated risk assessment and management skills
- Excellent presentation skills – candidate must be skilled and comfortable with presentations to executive management. Professional savvy and ability to interact with executive level management personnel
- Proactively seeks knowledge, new task, and responsibilities. Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
- Experience managing staff (role has one direct report)
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and working styles
- Knowledgeable in ERP systems, such as Oracle or SAP, and related automated internal controls or general computing controls
- Knowledgeable on the International Professional Practices Framework as established by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Ability to organize projects and work responsibilities, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Ability to travel app. 20% of the time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.