Sr. Director Global Supply Chain, Global Planning
Location United States, RemoteApply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Sr. Director, Supply Chain will manage the Global Planning team to ensure reliable product supply to a global patient population. The Global Planning team is responsible for converting forecasts into production plans that provide optimal distribution center inventories and incorporate effective contingencies for appropriate risks and initiatives. The Planning team also supports effective and efficient execution by TOPS with detailed and highly responsive demand and production planning activities for Finished Goods, Drug Product and Drug Substance. This position will recommend and maintain inventory and safety stock strategies and support the transition of clinical products to and post commercialization.
This position is also responsible for development and implementation of a global strategic roadmap to improve and scale business processes and effective business use of ERP within Supply Chain to meet the growing needs of our business. As Demand to Supply Process Owner this role will be responsible for process engineering and functional alignment of systems, in collaboration the Information Management (IM) organization to deliver new and improved solutions. This position will play an important role as a key thought leader in process management and a leader of the Business Process Management Community within the organization.
This position will define and execute the following core activities related to process development and improvement, design and implementation of key performance indicators (KPIs) within a GxP environment, leveraging our existing ERP e-Business Suite of products. This position will ensure process and system user requirements are properly defined and met and tasks are accomplished within defined timeframes at the highest quality with attention given to detail and scalability. In addition, this position will be responsible for ensuring the process and system solutions delivered adds value to the business and will manage all satisfaction, utilization, and ROI calculations of the implemented solutions.
Further, this person will develop the skills and leadership ability of the Global Planning Team through mentoring, technical and business training.
TOPS Leadership, Novato / Shanbally / Global External Operations Leadership, WWRD Clinical Operations, Medical Affairs, Finance Operations, Commercial Operations, Product Supply Chain Owners (PSCO) and Clinical Trial Supply Leads, Supply Operational & Network Strategy, Manufacturing Operations, Quality Operations, Global External Operations (GEO), Regulatory, Business Excellence and Global Planning.
- Develop strategic and operational production plans for each production level (commercial, clinical, toxicological, investigator sponsored, etc) through a 5 year + horizon that considers demand from commercial and/or clinical products, internal and external supply capacities, product launches, technical transfers, and regulatory filings. These production plans must provide insight to multiple scenarios of demand, supply, inventories, development and approval timelines, and be developed with support from multiple functional groups.
- Support a proactive Sales & Operations Planning program to create an integrated operational plan that supports BioMarin’s business and patient objectives.
- Through the monthly planning cycle provide comprehensive and highly executional production plans for each production level of Finished Goods, Drug Product and Drug Substance for internal and external operational teams. Ensure that recommended plans demonstrate detailed analysis, include effective mitigation plans, and thorough vetting with constituent groups.
- Establish and maintain appropriate drug substance, drug product and finished good inventory levels, while minimizing excess and obsolescence’s.
- Support ad hoc modelling of various supply scenarios as necessary with quick turn-around, extremely high accuracy, well vetted and documented assumptions, and that are readily supportable by the team.
- Develop process metrics for Demand and Supply Planning that measure effectiveness towards achieving goals, provide ready visibility to improvement opportunities, and track progress of improvement initiatives.
- Develop and implement optimization strategies for Inventory Management, Cycle Time Improvement, Make to Stock, Make to Order and Production Frequencies.
- Develop skill sets and leadership ability of the Global Planning team through mentoring, technical and business training, and challenging assignments that build confidence and demonstrate the team’s ability to make significant contributions to Technical Operations and BioMarin.
Supply Chain Process Management – Demand to Supply Owner
- Designs E2E processes and workflows that maximize efficiency and maintains high levels of customer service and champions ongoing and future process improvement initiatives to implement best practices.
- Identify opportunities and inefficiencies, and establish and implement globally aligned, E2E supply chain planning best practices that ensure continuous supply of product and support global business initiatives.
- Models and enhances business process diagrams, SIPOCs, and RACIs to capture both current and future state, using business process modelling tools.
- Guides Supply Chain Leaders in understanding and utilizing quality and continuous improvement methodologies, establishing connections between process management initiatives and business strategies and identifying and high-impact process improvement opportunities.
- Works with key stakeholders to optimize business solutions and provide input into new process capability requirements driving an improved implementation experience
- Takes the appropriate approach in process reengineering and improvements with the Operational Excellence (OE) team (e.g., Lean, Design Thinking, Six Sigma, Kaizen, DMAIC).
- Demonstrates the effective use of change management disciplines to prepare the business for change and ensure user adoptions. Validates that intended outcomes and benefits are achieved.
- Leads business process discussions across business functions and between the business and IT, driving the vision of more reliable, efficient and agile business operations
- Communicates and translates required business process capabilities and outcomes effectively between business process areas and supporting departments (such as the IM organization).
- Establishes and leads the Business Process Management Community, including Process Owners and Super Users to drive high levels of process performance and user adoption.
- Implement mechanisms to ensure the disciplined and effective use of ERP applications and reporting systems within Global Planning and integration with other Functional groups.
- Establishes process performance metrics with functional and business line inputs.
Uses these metrics to determine key areas of improvement for delivering reliable performance and Supply Chain Resiliency.
- BS/B.Sc., preferably in Supply Chain, Life Sciences, Engineering or Business Administration.
- Minimum 7 to 10 years’ progressive Senior Leadership experience of Sales & Operation Planning, Demand Management, Supply Planning, Inventory Management and Data Analytics.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience preferably in biopharma, in a complex, virtual, Commercial/Clinical Supply Chain Environment.
- Strong leadership, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams to achieve BioMarin’s strategic / operational goals and objectives.
- Ability to prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast paced, dynamic environment with multiple projects.
- Subject-matter expertise in ERP systems, preferably SAP and/or Oracle.
- Business process thinker that drives for continuous improvement of business process to achieve product strategies.
- Demonstrated, deep understanding of end-to-end global supply chain processes.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to work in a global, matrix organization.
- Strong analytical, organization, decision making, written and verbal communication and presentation skills to operational as executive levels.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, able to distil key decisions from complex data and environment and effectively articulate issues such that they resonate with senior management.
- Can accommodate required international travel.
- In Supply Chain Management.
- Supply Chain Qualification APICS certification desirable.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 204,700 to $ 307,100 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.