Senior Data Scientist 2
Location United States, RemoteWorkstyle Remote Only Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
Data Scientist is a full time position within the Global MSAT Data Science & Analytics team, whose mission is to create advanced data visualizations, predictive models, and automated reports for high-impact data-driven decision making. We achieve this by utilizing technically comprehensive and flexible process models and analytical tools that enable us to assess our manufacturing performance and capabilities.
Data Science & Analytics owns the business processes for data analytics that support process monitoring, deviation analysis, process optimization, change impact assessment, and strategic capacity planning. The candidate will apply their technical knowledge of biopharmaceutical processes and statistical techniques to build, maintain, and execute these models, as well as to analyze and create advanced visualizations for data outputs. The candidate will create interactive dashboards as well as document analyses, results, and recommendations in reports and oral presentations. This position requires close collaboration with process SMEs and stakeholders throughout the Technical Operations organization.
- Partnerwithin GMSAT Data Science & Analytics team and with business partners to developaligned global processesfor Manufacturing Process Monitoring and Modeling (Manufacturing, Manufacturing Sciences, Engineering, Technical Development, Quality, Facilities, and Supply Chain)
- Create and manageinteractive data visualizations and dashboards for process monitoring and modeling outputs.
- Integrate with partners to stay up to date on the state of the business, anticipate where Data Science & Analytics support is needed, and identify any gaps in data access or analysis(e.g., Process Monitoring Forums; MSAT CoE meetings; Process Team meetings; Scheduling/Planning meetings)
- Develop process monitoring models: gather user requirements, develop data models, and create outputs for the management and trending of manufacturing data.
- Manage process monitoring tools: perform routine maintenance, perform updates and improvements, and troubleshoot issues withdata management applications.
- Deploy Advanced Analytical Models: apply advanced numerical and statistical techniques including multivariate analysis, time series analysis and machine learning to analyze large datasets of process and raw materials data and generates predictive models to enhance process understanding.
- Use data analysis software and techniques to support process improvement initiatives and deviation investigations.
- Develop and maintain operational model simulations, performing analyses for use in supply chain planning, process change impact assessment, and network strategy scenario development.
- Author documents including work instructions for models; memos and reports with analysis findings and recommendations; prepare oral presentations.
- Mentor junior and entry level Data Scientists in data processing, modelling and data visualization.
Minimum Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Chemical Engineeringor any scientific discipline with an emphasis in mathematics and statistics.
- 3-5 years of professional experience as a Data Analyst or comparable work in a Pharmaceutical or Medical Technology environment. (Someone with >5yrs experience in a Biopharmaceutical manufacturing environment and with a strong interest in learning data analytics will also be considered)
- Detailed understanding of biopharmaceutical manufacturing unit operations, including cell culture, fermentation, and purification processes.
- Process data mining, simulation, analysis, and visualization skills (Proficient in programming languages, R, Python, SQL, statistical models)
- Experience with RTMS, Crosswalk Designer, VBA (i.e. Excel macros), OSI Pi, Discoverant, SIMCA, Electronic Lab Notebook a plus.
- Proven record of successful end-to-end data analysis project management: from problem and requirements definition to data validation and results presentation
- Proficiency with one or more enterprise Business Intelligence technologies (Power BI, Tableau, Spotfire)
- Familiarity with the basic concepts of relational data modelling and database design.
- Understanding of statistical and machine learning concepts (e.g., hypothesis testing, correlation analysis, regression analysis, time series forecasting, and predictive modeling).
- Comfortable working with structured and semi-structured data.
- Ability to create enhanced data visualization in ways that are universally understandable and easy to interpret; spot patterns, trends, and correlations; provide suggestions to improve processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; skilled at communicating technical material to a broad audience.
- Experience with cross-functional collaboration; integrating team with multi-disciplinary areas of the business.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 148,000 to $ 222,000 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.