Payer and Health Outcomes Liaison, WestLocation United States Apply
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
As an essential member of the commercial organization, the Payer and Health Outcomes Liaison will develop and maintain professional relationships with managed care customers by serving as a comprehensive scientific and managed care expert supporting BioMarin products, focusing initially on our hemophilia franchise. In close partnership with the National Account Directors, the Payer Liaison will ensure patient access to our therapies with national and regional payer accounts and evaluating, on an ongoing basis, the key evidence, medical education and information requests required by this significant customer segment. This individual will be an expert in understanding the scientific needs of commercial and government payers.
Excellent leadership, operational, organizational, problem solving, negotiation, communications, and project management skills are required. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to get things done are critical. This individual is a disciplined business-risk taker comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment with the resource constraints of a young commercial organization and committed to operating appropriately within a highly regulated industry and consistent with Compliance training, policies, guidelines, and their own best judgment. This individual must be creative, flexible and adaptable to new and changing situations. The Payer & Health Outcomes Liaison must be goal-oriented and know how to set aggressive, but achievable targets. A key part of the role will be interfacing and building strong partnerships with internal stakeholders including a range of medical & commercial partners, to ensure that insights and ideas are shared and executed across the organization.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on payer clinical and health economic evidence needs and demonstrate leadership among cross functional teams for health outcomes research projects for current and future therapies developed by BioMarin
- In conjunction with Account Directors, provide technical support for outcomes-based arrangements (OBAs) including the process, customer engagement, development of clinical endpoints, and metric development
- Facilitate account education and health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) related activities regarding BioMarin commercialized therapies.
- Deep knowledge of BioMarin’s ultra-orphan businesses and strategies, as well as knowledge of the market, competitive environment, including critical business drivers of accounts.
- Ethical and compliant messaging and behavior across all interactions in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies, guidelines, and best judgment and collaboration with Legal and Compliance.
- Play a key role in development and critical review of managed care materials such as economic models, AMCP dossiers and slide decks
- Provide input on strategy for health economic and outcomes data to ensure compliant and compelling delivery to payers
- Work closely with the Account Directors to identify and appropriately engage with medical influencers/decision makers within each account and to help educate the payer and market access community on disease states and BioMarin therapies
- Develop and maintain a strong collaborative working relationship cross functionally across the organization, particularly with market access and medical science liaison colleagues
- Research and analyze potential barriers to provider and patient access
- Compliance with all BioMarin policies and procedures including rules that govern external engagement with payers.
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- At least 5-7 years of experience with a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a managed care customer facing role
- Advanced degree in healthcare or related field required; doctoral degree preferred (MD, PharmD, PhD)
- Experience in contributing to the development and presentation of health economic and outcomes data, health outcomes, outcomes research, health technology assessment, and pharmacoeconomic principles including AMCP Dossiers, FDAMA 114, and pharmacoeconomic models
- Proven ability to develop outcomes-based agreement (OBA) metrics and clinical endpoints
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends in reimbursement & effectiveness in communicating with access decision makers
- Strong analytic and strategic thinking skills and the ability to adapt account strategy as needed
- Strong teamwork, presentation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability in participating and leading cross-functional teams, excellent skills in leading without authority, and negotiating and managing through influence
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to maintain a command of a large amount of scientific information across multiple therapeutic areas and show effective written/verbal communication skills
- Experience with health plan drug utilization decision-making (e.g. Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Guideline Panels) is highly desired
- Exhibited ability to operate within appropriate legal and regulatory guidelines
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.