Intern, Single Use Technologies DatabaseLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
TOPS Global Procurement is a high-performing, trusted partner recognized for leading and delivering outstanding services and value for the business. The raw materials team specifically focuses on all business-side elements of raw material management, such as ensuring continuity of supply, managing vendor relationships (SRM), contract and pricing negotiations, and implementation of supplier/material strategies for BioMarin.
Single Use Technologies (SUTs) are important materials used in the drug development and manufacturing process. They help to reduce cleaning and quality risks associated with extra process steps and allow for more agile manufacturing. At BioMarin, the SUT category is composed of tubing, filters, bags and assemblies.
BioMarin's SUT portfolio consists of ~600 individual, single-sourced items, many of which are custom. This customization and single-supplier dependency put BioMarin at a high raw material supply chain risk, which can lead to potential patient stockouts, revenue loss, and manufacturing downtime costs. Additionally, the power/leverage in our supplier relationships is held by our suppliers, which makes it difficult for us to create competition and ensure we pay the right price for our materials.
Currently, we are unable to monitor and manage our portfolio of SUT items in real-time. It is difficult to determine and track attributes for a given material, such as materials of construction (MOC), process step, components, product usage, etc. This role will help further develop a centralized data source for raw material procurement and technical data, ultimately helping to foster greater innovation, faster technical standardization and more intelligent decision making for our SUT portfolio.
- Basic understanding of biopharmaceutical manufacturing processes, materials, and GMP
- Good working knowledge of Excel
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and flexible
- Ability to quickly learn and navigate quality and ERP systems
- Great attention to detail
- Analytical skills and ability to work with large datasets
- Experience with multiple teleconferencing platforms (Zoom, MS Teams, Skype, etc.)
- Creative problem solver and team player
- Pursing a bachelor's or higher in engineering or science discipline
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.