Intern, Process SciencesLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Process Science Department at BioMarin is currently offering an internship opportunity for a student in life sciences/Genomics/Bioinformatics to join its Technology Development Team. The successful candidate will be actively engaged to take part in the development of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) based assays, NGS bioinformatics tools development, automation of bioinformatics analysis workflows, algorithm development/optimization, and functional genomics of production cell lines with Illumina/PacBio NGS platforms.
The successful candidate will be an individual who enjoys team work, organized and a self-starter who is very keen in gaining experience in cutting-edge technologies to find a cure for patients in a pharma industry settings. The key roles will be development, optimization and automation of NGS bioinformatics tools, NGS workflows, algorithms, machine/deep learning tools and data mining to support functional genomics projects via command line scripting. The successful candidate has the option to work from home/by remote.
- Proficiency in Python, R, Shiny, big data analytics, HPC computing, machine learning
- Efficient scientific communication skills in a highly dynamic and collaborative matrix organization and in internal department meetings and scientific report writings
- Comfort and enthusiasm in exploratory biology/molecular genetics/functional genomics
- Prior experience in molecular cell biology techniques
- Pursuing a Bachelors or Master’s or PhD degree in Biology/life sciences/Genetics/Bioinformatics or in a related field of study with minimum of first year completed
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.