Intern - Office of Business Operations, Product Portfolio DevelopmentLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Office of Business Operation (OBO) is part of the Portfolio Project Management (PPD) organization at BioMarin. PPD oversees the portfolio governance process and provides strategic portfolio best practices to optimize achievement of corporate goals. The OBO works cross functionally to deliver high quality strategic business solutions and processes that improve efficiency and boosts organizational effectiveness.
During the course of this internship, the intern will gain valuable insight into the importance of effective core (program) teamsand their roles and responsibilities in a biotech organization by interacting with program leads, team members and global project management, among others.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create standard core team roles and responsibilities by gathering information internally; benchmarkour description against other biotech organizationsto identify gaps; conduct internal interviews if necessary to understand how various functions would describe core team roles and responsibilities
- Creation of anintracompany webpage providing an overview of core teams and their role within the organization, including coreteam structure, roles and responsibilities of the core team, and other pertinent information
- Collate and organize program specific information from core teams and functions to create an onboarding area in Sharepoint for core team members
- Create and implement a core team health-check that can be standardize and used routinelyacross all programs
- Minimum junior or senior undergraduate in biomedical science or business school graduate student with biological sciences-related undergraduate major.
- Self-starter, innovative and critical thinker
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (i.e. ability to communicate brief but deep).
- Advanced research skills
- Able to synthesize information gathered into concise summaries and presentations
- Excels at working collaboratively with others
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.