Intern - Finance, Global Process TransformationLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Global Process Transformation (GPT) is a part of the Finance Organization and our Mission is to be the “one stop shop” for process improvements and governance… delivering value, providing tools and empowering business for the future. Made up of 5 global team members, our department offer services including End to End Process Governance Facilitation, Business Analysis, Process Automation/Continuous Improvement Execution Services, and Training on Lean & Six Sigma.
The Intern position will serve as an integral member of the Global Process Transformation (GPT) Team within Finance at BioMarin. The primary responsibility of the Intern is to provide business analysis services in support GPT’s goals and initiatives, including the improvement of processes, controls and compliance across a wide range of functional areas. The focus of the position is to work closely with the business and team to assist with the development and documentation of key business processes & initiatives such as Process Excellence, Governance, Robotics and Intelligent Automation. This Intern role has a wide range of responsibilities and a large scope of interactions across the CFO org. We are a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions.
The Global Process Transformation Intern’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with multiple Finance teams to identify opportunities for continuous process improvements.
- Gain understanding of process improvement methodologies and applying them on the job.
- Supporting the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Involvement in Intelligent Automation (e.g. Robotic process automation) projects and Initiatives taking place in Finance.
- Learn and produce required process analysis documentation e.g. process/data flows.
- Introduce new document templates and checklists for the team using existing or new technologies.
- Maintaining existing and creating new Power Automate flows that automate business processes between Microsoft applications. – Training will be provided.
- Communicating with various stakeholders and ensuring alignment on projects & initiatives.
- Assist in reviewing assigned business processes from end-to-end to identify automation opportunities and address operational, financial and technological risks.
- Maintaining the Transformation team’s SharePoint sites, PowerBI Dashboards and reporting templates.
- Preparation of monthly meeting decks and compiling info from various teams.
- Creating communication presentations & videos on initiatives and projects.
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers as needed.
- Assist with ad-hoc Finance activities.
- Participate in cross functional teams as required.
- Strong desire to never stop learning.
- High level of initiative, motivation & attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team
- Exceptional Communication skills.
- Organizational skills, personal efficiency, time management skills and the ability to prioritize competing demands are key.
- Ability to work in a confidential environment is essential.
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, MS Excel, MS Power Point, MS Visio, Power Automate & Power BI.
- An interest in harnessing technology and innovation to drive value and efficiency (i.e. process re-engineering, coding, system development, automation, etc.).
- Prior Experience with project management, continuous improvement, process mapping, Lean, or Six Sigma a big plus.
- Achieved or working towards a BS/BA in Business, Information Systems, Process/Project Management, or other related business or technology area.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Fully remote/virtual experience; company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.