Intern, Business Development
Location United States, RemoteWorkstyle Remote Only Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
Business and Corporate Development plays a critical role in the strategic growth of BioMarin by leading corporate strategy initiatives and executing to various types of transactions (e.g. licensing, M&A, partnership efforts) to shape our pipeline.
BioMarin is seeking a self-starter and results-oriented individual who is looking to gain hands-on, real-world experience as part of the Business Development (BD) team. We are looking for someone with both a strong fit with BioMarin’s mission and culture along with the necessary research and analytical skills. A successful candidate has the ability to engage both with deep scientific thinking and the business needs that drive our organization and should be curious and driven to answer questions thoroughly.
The intern will work closely with BD team members to assist across BD functions, including, but not limited to: secondary / primary research, analyzing deal landscape, evaluation of assets, document creation / data / NDA management and administrative tasks.
BioMarin’s summer internship program will take place over a 10 to 12-week period during the summer months, June through August.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Secondary / primary research for landscape analysis (e.g. indications of specific interest)
- Secondary / primary research for asset evaluation (e.g., scientific publications, analyst reports, Key Opinion Leader interviews)
- Monitoring of new academic publications and industry news
- Research and document creation for the team as part of evaluation (e.g. PowerPoints for assets under evaluation)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, SharePoint, Outlook and Power Point)
- Able to collect and synthesize a wide range of scientific and clinical information
- Must be a self-starter, comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- Organized and capable of multi-tasking. Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to produce quality deliverables and motivated to work with tight deadlines
- Excels at working collaboratively with others
- Innovative thinking and analysis
- Passionate about learning about business development in a high pace environment
- Graduate or MBA student with a strong background and career interest in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry is preferred
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
- Able to work remotely within United States borders
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
In the U.S., the hiring range for this position is $ 30.00 to $ 50.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 0 to $ 0 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.