Intern - BioAnalytical SciencesLocation Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systemswithin BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The BioAnalytical Sciences (BAS) department is part of BioMarin’s interdisciplinary Translational Sciences research group that is responsible for scientific analysis and strategy support for BioMarin’s innovative pipeline. BAS involvement stretches from discovery through clinical development, and includes ongoing support for BioMarin’s six marketed products.
Job description/ Project:
The position will involve working directly with Scientists in the BAS laboratoryto develop and implement characterization and documentation of reagents in our growing molecular biology toolkit.
Skills the Intern, BioAnalytical Sciences will learn:
- A variety of analytical methods to characterize synthetic andnatural nucleic acid samples, and other critical reagents for concentration, purity, identity and stability.
- How to draft documents that satisfy regulatory agency guidelines for bioanalytical experiments and reagents.
- Droplet digital PCR methods to measure quantity and contiguity of DNA and RNA targets in control and biologically sourced samples.
- Participate in group meetings to present and discuss data.
This internship will be a hybrid of working onsite and remotely. This role would require the student to be onsite at the San Rafael campus 2-3 days per week.
- Housing / Accommodations is the responsibility of the Intern
- Laboratory experience in Molecular Biology techniques.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to support collaboration among scientists and documentation of experiments.
- A strong team-player who wants to contribute to innovative science.
- Academic training in a biology or chemistry-related discipline.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.