Executive Medical Director, Discovery Medicine, Global Clinical Development
Location United States, RemoteWorkstyle Remote Only Apply
Sr. Medical Director/Medical Director, Discovery Medicine, Global Clinical Development
BioMarin is a world leader in delivering therapeutics providing significant benefit to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. BioMarin is engaged in the discovery, translation and development of therapies that correct severe pathologic mechanisms and produce meaningful endpoints for clinically relevant improvements in diseases. We therefore seek to discover and develop medicines that profoundly improve the quality of patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Discovery Medicine is a group of physician-scientists that support pipeline advancement and growth into clinical development. As an early clinical development function, our group of ‘scientific’ clinicians link research initiatives and technical assessments to areas of development based on fundamental understanding of genetics, molecular mechanisms, disease phenotypes and medical need in specific patient populations. We seek a physician-scientist to support the early clinical development of a broad portfolio of programs in genetic diseases.
- Design and conduct of early clinical trials, from natural history through treatment proof-of-mechanism
- Align development goals based on genetics, therapeutic approach, and clinical outcomes
- Interrogate the natural history and disease progression of genetic diseases in order to plan a development strategy encompassing biomarkers, endpoints, and target patient population
- Identify high value therapeutic targets for genetically driven diseases and contribute clinical expertise to groups involved in disease mapping and pipeline strategy
- Subject matter expertise of genetically driven disease by keeping current with literature, meetings, and disease pipeline
- Work with Research, Innovation Accelerator and Business Development to facilitate clinical diligence of new development opportunities
- Participate in scientific advisory boards convened by BioMarin to support the research initiatives in genetics
- Leadership role in nominating, prioritizing and advancing research stage programs
- Early clinical development representation to cross-functional teams
- Generate development plans, draft product characterization, first-in-human and proof of concept trial strategy, draft clinical development plans
- Collaborate cross-functionally to author development thesis and early clinical development plans
- Protocol development for early clinical development and first in human studies
- Early clinical representative in investigative new drug (IND) filing team
- MD or MD/PhD required
- Strong record of academic, basic and/or translational research productivity
- Solid foundation and interest in mechanisms of genetically driven diseases
- Board certified in medicine, pediatrics, surgery or equivalent discipline
- Effective at building alliances across functions
- Excellent communication skills, with a desire to develop strong internal and external collaborations
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.