Director, US Field Reimbursement, Hemophilia Gene TherapyLocation United States Apply
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
At BioMarin, we aspire to lift the voice of the hemophilia community the same way they inspire us to keep researching and moving toward the exceptional with science. We celebrate the people we serve and in the face of obstacles, BioMarin sees opportunity. The BioMarin team is dedicated to pursuing change in hemophilia treatment through the ingenuity of our gene therapy research. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director, US Field Reimbursement, Hemophilia Gene Therapy, will be responsible for the development and execution of the institutional and field reimbursement strategy for BioMarin’s investigational gene therapy product for Hemophilia A, currently being evaluated in Phase III clinical trial. The Director will build out the strategy and assess infrastructure needs required to support patient access partnering with all relevant internal teams, including Patient Access Services/Hub National Accounts, Sales, Marketing, Trade and Compliance and externally with Hemophilia Treatment Centers (HTC), Institutions, and HCPs.
This role requires strategic, tactical, operational, organizational, problem solving, communications, and project management skills. Strong results orientation and a sense of urgency to get things done are critical. This professional is an architect of creative solutions that embraces innovative approaches and is comfortable in an entrepreneurial and growing commercial organization and committed to ethical behavior in every aspect of their duties and in compliance with company policies and within the industry’s legal and regulatory framework. The ideal candidate will have experience in hemophilia and/or rare disease, in depth field reimbursement, building out an institutional and field reimbursement support strategy, and competitive launch experience, including a strong understanding of and respect for this empowered community of patients, patient advocates and dedicated health care providers.
- Develop and execute institutional and field reimbursement strategy in collaboration with internal and external partners
- Develop guidance documents on appropriate and effective engagement with external stakeholders (Institutions, HTCs and HCPs) in partnership with Compliance and other internal partners to support rapid access to therapy
- Lead team of Therapy Access Managers responsible for the execution of the institutional and field reimbursement strategy
- Identify, build relationships and educate key institution stakeholders on BioMarin’s patient support services/Hub, distribution model and payer contracting requirements to gain access to the product
- Provide site readiness support to key institution stakeholders on product logistics and technical requirements
- Support institution’s formulary committee discussions, partnering with MSLs as needed
- Act as a liaison between BioMarin’s patient support services hub and the treatment centers to educate providers on the BioMarin patient support services hub, including distribution of resources supporting education of institutional staff managing reimbursement available to staff at institutions such as coverage authorization guides, co-pay assistance programs, etc.
- Support BioMarin’s patient support services hub’s patient facing roles providing education to patients on coverage authorization support
- Provide live one-on-one support to providers and address questions about coverage requirements, including education on the payers’ coverage authorization requirements and process
- Committed to acting ethically and in compliance within a highly-regulated industry, consistent with training, policies, guidelines, and their own best judgment while adhering to all company policies
- As a customer facing position, partner with the Sales Account Managers and Patient Support Services Hub to provide education in support of the reimbursement needs of the prescribers, HTCs and institutions including supporting patient access and seeking compliant resolutions to barriers to care
- Educate institutions and prescribers on BioMarin’s patient support services hub, payer issues, policies/guidelines, trends, common reasons for PA delays, denials and appeal processes
- Review cases to address any coverage barriers
- Travel ~50-75% to support above responsibilities
- 10+ years of field reimbursement and/or sales experience in the Pharmaceutical or Healthcare industries, including rare disease experience and launch experience
- Successful track record in field reimbursement or in pharma/biotech sales/management of high cost products that required significant payer and reimbursement support Hemophilia experience preferred
- Experience with both ‘buy and bill’ and Specialty Pharmacy distribution pathways
- Strong knowledge of the payer environment, including government and commercial payers
- Ability to interact with customers – prescribers, decision makers at institutions and patients
- Solid knowledge of patient services/HUB programs and experience working collaboratively with HUB roles
- A record of working effectively in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Compliance with HIPAA regulations, OIG guidance, Advertising and Promotion requirements, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and applicable policies, best practices, and guidelines
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Advanced/professional degree (MBA, RN, Master’s, etc.) preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.