Associate Director / Director Scientific & Competitive Intelligence
Location United States, RemoteApply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
OVERVIEW: Competitive Intelligence
The Competitive Intelligence group is responsible for providing best-in-class competitive insights to optimize BioMarin’s on-market, clinical and research programs. The group also supports Investor Relations, Business Development, Commercial, Manufacturing, and Medical Affairs’ efforts. The CI team is committed to ensuring relevant, timely, and impactful insights to support the programs and achievement of corporate goals.
The Associate Director / Director-level position is a team role for insight-driven, seasoned professionals who excel as masterful facilitators and organizational drivers. As an experienced and well-respected leader, this individual plays a pivotal role in setting the competitive strategy and direction of the organization. This candidate can hold accountability for sound decisions through the mastery of essential scientific, technical & business expertise around competitive research, drug modality, product development, and BioMarin’s therapeutic areas.
The role oversees the CI of one or more highly complex programs and disease areas, along with being a key leader in the CI function. In addition, the role is expected to:
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to support program strategy and execution based on competitive insights, as well as functional initiatives.
- Demonstrate agility by consistently balancing the ‘big picture’ analysis along with attention to details. Specifically, he/she is expected to showcase technical skills and agility to derive implications for the BMRN portfolio, in addition to the programs.
- Make sound decisions by interpreting complex and often fuzzy sets of information and identifying gaps—breaks down vague and very complex, multidimensional problems. Demonstrate the ability to learn to ‘predict’ competitor behavior and outcomes based on experience and prior competitor actions. When making decisions, he/she considers line management guidance, departmental priorities, and overall corporate strategic implications.
- Act as a strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts to help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
- Support ad-hoc BD efforts by the creation of competitive and disease-level landscapes.
Following demonstrated success in the role, the candidate may have the opportunity to take on additional organization-wide responsibilities of greater scope and complexity.
- Deep expertise in conducting competitive analyses and generating actionable recommendations
- Understanding of pharmaceutical development and commercialization process, as well as industry competitive dynamics
- Superior analytical ability and project management skills
- Proven ability to lead teams and influence cross-functionally in a matrix environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse teams across organizational lines and structures
- Strong oral/written communications and presentation skills
- Director level: Bachelors with 10 years of experience or a Masters with 8 years of experience
- Associate Director level: Bachelors with 8 years of experience OR a Masters with 6 years of experience
- PhD preferred but not mandatory
Familiarity with the basic business software tools and environment and pharma CI data sources
- This role may manage rotational direct-reports if needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS required; MBA, PharmD, PhD or other advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of combined total relevant science and business experience of 7 years for Associate Director and 10 years for Director that must include experience outside of a bench position (i.e., industry, management consulting, product development experience). Experience in investment banking, industry corporate strategy role, CI, and/or portfolio strategy is a plus.
- Experience in people management is a plus
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.